Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm glad I made it home.

Posted by rkj 
rkj
July 20, 2011 07:45PM
My fuel pump has been a tad noisy for the last few days but today when I had to take Janet back to doctor a few towns over the pump started to howl when I got to the doctors office. A howlin pump in a tank full of gas gives me the creeps!
July 20, 2011 09:22PM
Gasoline tanks are full of fuel vapor that has no air in it. The vapor is heavier than air. So the mixture in the tank is not a flammable mixture.

When the pump quits howling though, the engine will also get very quiet. Hope you have spare. The hoses on the pump were a pain in the neck and had to be changed too when mine went bad.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
July 22, 2011 05:03PM
Bob in Everett
Gasoline tanks are full of fuel vapor that has no air in it. The vapor is heavier than air. So the mixture in the tank is not a flammable mixture.

When the pump quits howling though, the engine will also get very quiet. Hope you have spare. The hoses on the pump were a pain in the neck and had to be changed too when mine went bad.

Thanks Bob, I guess all that makes me feel better but when that pump was yowlin its head off on the way home I didn't dare tell Janet where it was located!

I should have a few pumps in stock so I'm just hoping the fuel lines are still intact eye rolling smiley they go over the tank itself, right? seems to me if I attach the new one to the end of the old one I should be able to pull it through.. Right now it's a million degrees so it will wait a few days :eyes:

Cheers, Rick
July 23, 2011 03:28PM
Check the fuel line, in case of doubt change all the plastic tubes.
Some e30 have the fuel pump below the car to the left, other (the newer models) in the tank itself, below the rear seat.
Leave everything good for another 20 years. smileys with beer
July 23, 2011 06:49PM
There are a couple of configurations. The some models have two pumps. One is the transfer pump from one side to the other. Mine only has one pump and an external line for the other half of the tank. Access is from under the back seat. There were two short pieces of hose connected to the mounting flange of the pump. I had to cut the old hose off so had to replace them. As I recall they were different diameters too.

As Jose points out there are some models with the pump external to the tank.

Bob

Bob in Lake Havasu
July 24, 2011 07:25AM
Yes, the older models had two pumps. The main pump was external and the secondary/transfer pump was in the tank.
The later models simply had the one pump in the tank.

The change over from double pumps to a single pump was probably around 1987/88.
rkj
July 25, 2011 08:46PM
Archeo-peteriX
Yes, the older models had two pumps. The main pump was external and the secondary/transfer pump was in the tank.
The later models simply had the one pump in the tank.

The change over from double pumps to a single pump was probably around 1987/88.

Right Peter, the majority of the 2.5 litre cars had the single pump in the tank. Now, I hope my spare ebay pump works eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login