Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bosal Exhaust...What a PITA

Posted by Milo 
July 10, 2011 09:09PM
I bought a full Bosal system for my 325e, I put the back part on a few weeks ago but the bolts were frozen on the head pipes. After a few PB Blaster soakings on a hot head pipe they all came off with little drama. I thought I had the battle won...I was wrong.

The flex pipe on the Bosal system was welded about 10deg rotationally off of where it needs to be. Much prying, twisting and swearing isn't making it go on any better. My options are to return it, hog out the holes to make it fit, or have the end cut off and rewelded to the proper position. Needing the car I'll start hogging out the holes tomorrow hoping to make it fit.

How tough is it to weld to a jig?

:wall:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
July 11, 2011 06:52PM
Probably could take it to a muffler shop and have them modify it for you for a few bucks and not have to worry about the hogged out holes letting the gaskets out.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
July 11, 2011 07:11PM
Milo
I bought a full Bosal system for my 325e, I put the back part on a few weeks ago but the bolts were frozen on the head pipes. After a few PB Blaster soakings on a hot head pipe they all came off with little drama. I thought I had the battle won...I was wrong.

The flex pipe on the Bosal system was welded about 10deg rotationally off of where it needs to be. Much prying, twisting and swearing isn't making it go on any better. My options are to return it, hog out the holes to make it fit, or have the end cut off and rewelded to the proper position. Needing the car I'll start hogging out the holes tomorrow hoping to make it fit.

How tough is it to weld to a jig?

:wall:

I've had this a few times but luckily two round punches and a bar between them was enough to get the thing aligned.
July 12, 2011 10:59AM
I'm not one to admit defeat easily...UNCLE.

Tow truck is coming this afternoon to take it to my muffler guy, where I should have gone in the first place.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

rkj
July 12, 2011 04:31PM
Milo
I'm not one to admit defeat easily...UNCLE.

Tow truck is coming this afternoon to take it to my muffler guy, where I should have gone in the first place.

Matt, you're a smart man. smileys with beer
July 13, 2011 09:31PM
A-1 Muffler in Everett has been my muffler guy for years, why I didn't go to him first...

Had the car towed to A-1 Muffler ($60), $54 and some creative torching later he made the system fit as well as he could. If I had to guess I'd say that 1987 was a split year for E30s and I got the "other" exhaust because Auto Parts Warehouse didn't know the difference.

Oh, and she turned over 100K the other day, the wife was driving so I made her take a cell phone pic for me.

Matt in Everett, WA

July 14, 2011 01:07PM
100.000... Your baby is as new as can be!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login