Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

rear window won't open

Posted by nomis3613 
July 02, 2011 07:24PM
Hi folks, can I please get some help fixing the electric rear window on my 1989 sedan? It's stuck closed, pressing the button makes the switch lights go dim (like for the other windows which are working properly) but there isn't even any noise from the window motor.

Sounds like a need a new motor?
How do I get at it to remove it, I can't see a way to get at it? If it involves lowering the window, can you please explain this, because I can't even lower the window?
(I can't find anything useful in the Bentley, hopefully I haven't missed it...)

Thanks heaps,
Simon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2011 07:24PM by nomis3613.
July 02, 2011 07:38PM
Simon,

I experienced this numerous times.

It may not be the that the motor is shot but rather that the old grease and oils have simply hardened and are preventing the motor from starting up.

I had the exact same problem with one of my rear windows. I am cheap and decide to try everything short of replacement.

I grabbed the window withe the palms of my hands on either side of the glass and had a helper press the switch/button.
Eventually the motor started up and I continued to run it up and down for a couple of minutes.

After that episode; I 'exercised' the windows on a monthly basis/// no more problems smileys with beer

Give it a shot...

Peter
July 02, 2011 07:43PM
Thanks Peter. I have had that happen before, but IIRC I could hear the motor struggling. Anyway, I will give the "free fix" method another try, hopefully it will save the day!
July 02, 2011 07:47PM
Simon,

I'm sure you already know to try swapping out one of the other switches to eliminate that possibility winking smiley
July 02, 2011 07:51PM
Of course!

Actually, now that I think about it, I only swapped the centre console switch. This is wishful thinking but maybe a faulty switch in the door could bring down the whole system, I'll give that a shot too before I pull the door apart again...
July 03, 2011 02:50AM
While at it, unplug and clean the electrical connectors you find.
If that's not the cause for your trouble, they probably are corroded and need some cleaning.

Good luck!
July 03, 2011 05:23PM
Simon,

I am probably even cheaper than Peter. I had a stuck window motor when I first got my car. I fixed it by opening up the motor and cleaning and lubricating it. In mine, the bearing at the bottom of the motor was stuck to the shaft. I pulled it off, cleaned up the shaft with some sandpaper, packed grease in the bearing (which appeared to be a sintered bronze bushing that would absorb oil from the grease very nicely), put it all back in the door and have been using it ever since. That was 6 years ago. I also cleaned out what looked like drain holes at the end of the motor that had crud in them. That's probably what let rain water collect in the motor and corrode the end of the shaft.

Good luck. Don't buy a motor until you see smoke come out of the one you already own. smiling smiley

John
August 10, 2011 04:31AM
Hi Folks,
How do I remove the motor when the window is stuck shut?

I tried ahem "assisting" it to lower while someone was pushing the button, but no joy. How do I do it please?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login