Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transmission shutter in 2nd and 3rd.

Posted by rkj 
rkj
June 28, 2011 10:52AM
For a few months now Janet's car has been doing this, 1987 325e auto. It is rock solid in first and forth, and lock-up but 2nd and 3rd are pronounced and you can feel the chatter/vibration in the seat of your pants and the dash etc. I'll look at the usual places today; guibo, center bearing and the shaft but it feels like it's coming from inside the box.

No matter how hard you push the car first is rock solid and at faster speeds 70+ it is calm with no shaking.

It's been my experience that any drive line/mount issue will be worse at high speeds, not that it's gospel but....

Any of you guys with auto-boxes have a clue?

Thanks, Rick
Don't know about the auto box in E30's, are 2nd and 3rd on the same set of gears? Could be that a clutch or brake isn't doing what it should do. Or some hydraulic valve 'fluttering'.
rkj
Michiel 318iS
Don't know about the auto box in E30's, are 2nd and 3rd on the same set of gears? Could be that a clutch or brake isn't doing what it should do. Or some hydraulic valve 'fluttering'.

I don't know how the internals are laid out but if you're under power (normal acceleration) you feel a shuttering through the whole car (just like a loose U joint) in second and third. The motor is dead even so its not that... I got under the car yesterday but couldn't get to see much. I have booked some time down the street for next week so we'll see what that brings.

I've never had a car that would only shutter in a few gears before so that's why I think it is inside the auto-box sad smiley

Cheers, Rick
Rick,

I didn't see you mention changing out the tranny fluid. When was it done last?

I had the same almost identical situation on an auto box I once owned(no, not the iX). The mechanic replaced the pan gasket, pickup filter and one other consumable piece that I don't remember along with a flush and fresh ATF. Within a week of this service, the tranny smoothed right out and the shifting even went back to silky smooth.
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Rick,

I didn't see you mention changing out the tranny fluid. When was it done last?

I had the same almost identical situation on an auto box I once owned(no, not the iX). The mechanic replaced the pan gasket, pickup filter and one other consumable piece that I don't remember along with a flush and fresh ATF. Within a week of this service, the tranny smoothed right out and the shifting even went back to silky smooth.

That's a good idea Peter, if the drive line checks out that would be the next step. It's never been changed.
rkj
So, the verdict. Guibo shot. I ordered a guibo, nose bearing assy and a center bearing. That should do it hopefully eye rolling smiley
Good luck, hope that does the trick.

Pesky guibos: responsible for everything from mosquito bites to global warming!
rkj
eye rolling smiley
nomis3613
Good luck, hope that does the trick.

Pesky guibos: responsible for everything from mosquito bites to global warming!

Oh, come on! the poor guibo is a very misunderstood beast of burden, poor thing. I will admit, putting a scattershield around them was a truly great idea though. Yeay E30 :bow:

Global Warming..... really, no such thing! eye rolling smiley
rkj
Wow, new car! Sometimes things work out :rally:
Congrats, glad to hear you're back in boxy German 80s nirvana!
rkj
nomis3613
Congrats, glad to hear you're back in boxy German 80s nirvana!

YES hot smiley
Rick,
No matter how much we forget about these machines...we still remember more than the new guys have ever known smileys with beer

It's almost sad that we make it seem so easy :laugh:
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Rick,
No matter how much we forget about these machines...we still remember more than the new guys have ever known smileys with beer

It's almost sad that we make it seem so easy :laugh:

Thanks Peter. This car amazes me with its consistency; for all the around town banging it gets she just keeps going well. This plain jane 1987 325 auto might be the best car I've ever lived with.
rkj
So, after a few weeks of running okay (according to Janet) I drove the car only to have the same problem :furious:.

I wonder what the guys missed when they had it apart, transmission mounts?

As soon as you reach about 35-40 (out of the high torque range) mph the car gets smooth and stays wonderful all the way up to high speed..... Back to the drawing board :rolleyes:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 08:08PM by rkj.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login