Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Full Exhaust Ideas?

Posted by Milo 
March 28, 2011 07:11PM
My 325e cat is rotten, my muffler rattles like a yahtzee cup and I'm close to toxifying myself on seeping muffler extract.

Trying to keep a budget DD in mind I've found this cat:

[exhaustsystem.allexhaust.com]

And one on Bavauto.com for $375 (bav doesn't like linking)

These front ends have to fit a muffler that sounds nice but isn't too loud.

I'm sure replacing rotten exhausts is a common on 20+ year old cars, I'd like some of your collective wisdom.

Thanks all!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 07:12PM by Milo.
March 28, 2011 08:25PM
Had to bite the bullet and buy that very cat 6 months ago so I could pass smog here in SoCal. It is what it is. You will probably need a new O2 sensor as well.

alan
rkj
March 29, 2011 08:37AM
Hey Matt, I'd like to add to what Alan has said, it sounds like the cat innards have come apart and are now lodged in the rear section of your system. That can damage the new cat so while you're "in there" you might as well do the whole thing and when I usually do this wonderful job it often leads me to manifold gaskets; another swell job...

Another fun fact, my last two headpipes/cats had to be heated and bent (downstream of the O2 sensor) for a decent fit in the car. I hope you have better luck but beware of bad fits. Of course you should make sure non of the engine/trans mounts are sagging or broken.

Cheers, Rick
March 29, 2011 03:05PM
I figured there would be a list of other stuff to do while I'm there...Manifold gaskets between the cat pipe and manifold or between the engine and manifold? I'm guessing the latter. Anything else to order while I'm there?

Taking the family to Hawaii for a much deserved vacation for a week, when I get back I'll order some parts.

Thanks guys!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

rkj
March 29, 2011 04:49PM
Milo
I figured there would be a list of other stuff to do while I'm there...Manifold gaskets between the cat pipe and manifold or between the engine and manifold? I'm guessing the latter. Anything else to order while I'm there?

Taking the family to Hawaii for a much deserved vacation for a week, when I get back I'll order some parts.

Thanks guys!

The latter, I'm afraid, but, it is not always necessary. Look carefully, the nuts are usually a good first place to look.
March 29, 2011 06:58PM
Save yourself all the hassles and aggravation of of trying to save a little money...buy the OEM parts and be done with it; you won't regret it :cool2:smiling smiley
March 29, 2011 07:02PM
Good advice. Can't remember if I got mine from Pelican or BAV but it was a perfect fit. I am assuming it is jig welded. If you are interested, let me know, I can look it up.

alan
May 10, 2011 03:33PM
And he's back.

Looking at Pelican they differentiate between pre and post 8/87, I've got a 6/87 build for the catalytic converter fitment. Pelican is the only site that seems to think there's a difference...is there?

Bavauto and several generic sellers don't distinguish.

Thanks again.

Matt in Everett, WA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login