Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rear Wheel Bearing Talking?

Posted by Milo 
March 20, 2011 08:11AM
I'm getting an occasional grinding from the rear end, it did it last night when I was backing into a parking spot but was fine as I drove forward and didn't bother me all the way home. Classic bearing failure symptom?

I've read a couple of DIYs and there seems to be several ways to proceed, what's the best?

Is the bearing a NAPA part?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
March 20, 2011 08:23AM
That doesn't sound like a wheel bearing; they typically howl when driving at speed.

I would check out the parking brake system. You are probably going to find something loose or broken.
March 20, 2011 10:31AM
While you are in there, check the brake pads themselves.

alan
March 20, 2011 02:48PM
Thanks, I got tied up trying to get a free brush-whacker running today. Sometimes free things are expensive...

Sometime this week I'll jack up the rear end and see what's up, checking my deteriorating exhaust is probably a good thing as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

rkj
March 21, 2011 06:24AM
Milo
I'm getting an occasional grinding from the rear end, it did it last night when I was backing into a parking spot but was fine as I drove forward and didn't bother me all the way home. Classic bearing failure symptom?

I've read a couple of DIYs and there seems to be several ways to proceed, what's the best?

Is the bearing a NAPA part?

My 2cents worth; I've had similar experience like Peter, a noisy rumble at speed getting progressively louder as time goes by. I'm sure there are exceptions but one thing I like to do to pinpoint bad bearings is to run the car in speed with the wheels off the ground and do the screw driver to your ear thing. Be careful though, it's dangerous :blinkey:

What's your mileage Matt
March 21, 2011 08:48AM
rkj
What's your mileage Matt

*Indicated* 98K, I've only owned it for a few months so it could be more but the wear on pedals and interior makes me think it's not far off.

Matt in Everett, WA

rkj
March 21, 2011 04:30PM
Milo
rkj
What's your mileage Matt

*Indicated* 98K, I've only owned it for a few months so it could be more but the wear on pedals and interior makes me think it's not far off.

Matt, that thing's a baby. Mine has 220k and they're quiet. You should have a while to go smileys with beer

Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login