Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

help assembling head-'89 325I

Posted by Art Munson 
March 10, 2011 08:00AM
ok, nothing like waiting till the last minute. I took the engine apart 2 years ago. I am hoping to start putting it back together this morning. I thought I could find a link real quick to help me remember where everything goes. I found a good "step by step w/pictures" on timing belt replacement but could not find something on re-assembling the head. Just the cam/rockers mainly. Any tips.Can someone send a link or 2? Thanks.
Art
March 10, 2011 08:21AM
Do yourself a favour and get a Bentley Manual. It covers most if not all the nitty gritty of head removal and dis assembly.

It will save you trying to piece together bits and pieces from the internet.

james
March 10, 2011 11:23AM
Thanks, I have the Chilton's manual and have spent a few minutes looking for the help I need....I must be an idiot cause I can't find it in here. Oh well, its not like I haven't put an engine or two together without the help of a manual. I just hope I get some time to work on it today.
rkj
March 10, 2011 03:19PM
Art Munson
Thanks, I have the Chilton's manual and have spent a few minutes looking for the help I need....I must be an idiot cause I can't find it in here. Oh well, its not like I haven't put an engine or two together without the help of a manual. I just hope I get some time to work on it today.

Hey Art. I have the Bentley here if you need something specific speak up, we'll do the best we can to help. Cheers, Rick

perseverance furthers
March 10, 2011 03:22PM
Art Munson
I have the Chilton's manual
I realize this won't help for today, but for future jobs if I were you I would still get the Bentley manual, and then take the Chilton manual and use it to start fires, line a bird cage, prop up a wobbly table, or anything useful. There's really no comparison. smiling smiley

March 17, 2011 11:22PM
Manual should be here in a few days. I looked at the parts and I probably don't really need the "better" manual but I guess since I wont be able to work on it till next Thurs...its worth the money to have it. Thanks everyone for the good advice. Will let you know how it goes and once I get started on this car I will probably be posting about a few other things(at least for a year or so till the next interesting thing comes along). You can relate.
Thanks again.
rkj
March 23, 2011 03:25PM
Art Munson
Manual should be here in a few days. I looked at the parts and I probably don't really need the "better" manual but I guess since I wont be able to work on it till next Thurs...its worth the money to have it. Thanks everyone for the good advice. Will let you know how it goes and once I get started on this car I will probably be posting about a few other things(at least for a year or so till the next interesting thing comes along). You can relate.
Thanks again.

I think if you own this car the Bentley is a must have...
March 24, 2011 10:17PM
OK. Received my Bentley manual the other day.($43 from amazon) and also bought a cool book called e30 restoration bible. Both books will be very helpful when I take the time to read them. I did put the head back together today and didn't feel like the Bentley manual was much help. I had to call a fellow e30 guy (thanks Steve!) for advice. I don't know about the rest of you but putting the rocker arms/shafts back into the head was a PAIN to say the least. Maybe I was being a little too careful not to break the towers off the head but it seems like there should have been an easier way. Thanks again Steve for your help. I am very stoked now that the head is reassembled!!!!! Next week should be the week to get it running again after 2 years!!!
March 25, 2011 07:53AM
Sorry, once again, late to the party;

[www.pelicanparts.com]

for next time?

alan
March 25, 2011 09:05AM
Thanks for your help. I will look closer at the site after work. Mine is the M20 single cam motor.
March 25, 2011 09:06AM
I should have said "engine".... "motor" is electric.
April 01, 2011 11:20AM
Hi Art, also late, but I find exploded veiws from the parts fisch also help a lot when trying to figure out the order of things, or where the "spare" parts go.
Here is one for the BMW's, just click your way through the index to your car and you will find every expolded diagram you could wish for.
realoem.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login