Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiper washer

Posted by Pc1958 
March 06, 2011 12:13AM
I have a 1987 BMW 325is. I try to squirt wiper fluid on my windshield nothing happens. I replace the the wiper washer motor and check fuses (all test OK), I check the fuse/relay socket #85, it test OK. The only thing I did not replace was the relay. Anyone has any suggestions?

Perry.....
March 06, 2011 07:27AM
At the back edge of the hood(closest to the windshield) the plastic hoses that go to the nozzles go into a 'T' junction. That 'T' is actually a valve and they become plugged up.
I was never able to unplug mine so I replaced it with a simple 'T' from the hardware store. It worked fine after that for a while.
Later, I discovered there is also a junction at the front of the hood where the plastic pipe can be separated for hood removal...this one also gets plugged. After I replaced that one; no more problems.
March 06, 2011 09:01AM
Thanks for the info!

Perry
March 06, 2011 09:09AM
Also, make sure the nozzles themselves are't clogged with car wax.

alan
rkj
March 06, 2011 09:39AM
And make sure the pump is/or isn't working- you should, with the hood open, hear the pump run when you hit the lever.
March 06, 2011 12:31PM
thanks for the info. There no wax in the nozzle.
March 06, 2011 12:33PM
I just replace with new pump. No sound. what's next the diagon.
March 06, 2011 01:20PM
Is it only the washer fluid pump that's not working, or are the wipers also not working?
March 06, 2011 02:17PM
Is it only the washer fluid pump that's not working
March 06, 2011 05:15PM
I would test for voltage at the washer pump connection.

alan
rkj
March 06, 2011 05:24PM
alanrw
I would test for voltage at the washer pump connection.

alan

Right, then go up-stream till you get to the switch lever on the column. That's how you run down an electrical device... Have fun.

Got the Bentley Book?
March 06, 2011 06:34PM
Here is the wiring diagram for the wiper/washer system. Click on that for an enlarged view.

[attachment 127 WiperWasher.jpg]

Power to both the wiper and washer systems comes from the 30-amp Fuse-5.

Since the wipers do work we already know the fuse is good, and thus we know that the K10 wiper control relay is okay too. We also know that the Ground connection G201 (Ground on Steering Column) must be good too, otherwise the wipers wouldn't work. That's good. The washer circuit is relatively simple compared to the wiper circuit.

There are two wires connected to the washer pump. The Violet/Black wire should have +12v on it whenever the ignition is in the accessory, run, or start position. The Brown/Black wire should see Ground whenever the washer switch is activated. Check those two wires first as they are easy to access at the pump.

When the washer switch is activated it also pulls Pin-85 (Wash Input) on the K10 Wiper Control Unit relay to Ground, triggering the logic circuit to automatically activate the windshield wipers for a few cycles. Do your wipers come on this way when you try to activate the windshield washer pump? I suspect not.

I'm thinking the problem might be within the switch itself.

Under the dash, on top of the steering column is a cluster of wiring connectors. Look for the six-pin connector C201. Pin-4 on this connector is the Brown/Black wire. If you jump that wire directly to Ground, thereby bypassing the wiper/washer switch, it should activate the washer pump and cycle the wipers. If that works, then you know your problem is within the wiper/washer switch.
Attachments:
open | download - WiperWasher.jpg (123.2 KB)
rkj
March 06, 2011 07:29PM
Ferdinand
Here is the wiring diagram for the wiper/washer system. Click on that for an enlarged view.

[attachment 127 WiperWasher.jpg]

Power to both the wiper and washer systems comes from the 30-amp Fuse-5.

Since the wipers do work we already know the fuse is good, and thus we know that the K10 wiper control relay is okay too. We also know that the Ground connection G201 (Ground on Steering Column) must be good too, otherwise the wipers wouldn't work. That's good. The washer circuit is relatively simple compared to the wiper circuit.

There are two wires connected to the washer pump. The Violet/Black wire should have +12v on it whenever the ignition is in the accessory, run, or start position. The Brown/Black wire should see Ground whenever the washer switch is activated. Check those two wires first as they are easy to access at the pump.

When the washer switch is activated it also pulls Pin-85 (Wash Input) on the K10 Wiper Control Unit relay to Ground, triggering the logic circuit to automatically activate the windshield wipers for a few cycles. Do your wipers come on this way when you try to activate the windshield washer pump? I suspect not.

I'm thinking the problem might be within the switch itself.

Under the dash, on top of the steering column is a cluster of wiring connectors. Look for the six-pin connector C201. Pin-4 on this connector is the Brown/Black wire. If you jump that wire directly to Ground, thereby bypassing the wiper/washer switch, it should activate the washer pump and cycle the wipers. If that works, then you know your problem is within the wiper/washer switch.

Well now, Ferdy, you've taken the fun right out of it grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login