Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Starter replacement procedures?

March 04, 2011 08:29PM
Does anyone have a good link to a procedure for starter replacement? I just traded up my Audi for my dream E30 but she won't start and I'm suspecting it's the starter.

I've found all kinds of articles for going in under the transmission but I've heard there's another way from above, anyone know this? It would help me do it a lot easier as it's 10 degrees out here on a nice day and I'd rather now be out laying on the frozen ground haha.

BAM

March 04, 2011 08:33PM
You can reach the starter from above but the upper bolt is practically impossible to reach from above if I recall.
March 05, 2011 10:35AM
My experience with the starter was likewise, difficult to reach the upper bolt.
Are you sure it is the starter? Does the starter motor run?

You most likely will have to be under the car to get the starter changed. A small radiant heater under there with you may help keep your hands from freezing.

Bob in Lake Havasu
March 05, 2011 01:14PM
I was able to reach the top bolt from above by using an offset box end wrench. It actually wasn't too bad that way. It took me a while to figure that out.

John
March 07, 2011 09:40PM
Nope, false alarm. The battery was completely shit the bed but $90 later, it started right up after clearing the winter cobwebs out. She's a beauty.

Thanks for the help. smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login