Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

number 10 fuse

Posted by stirv 
February 01, 2011 12:02PM
keeps blowing again.
no TACH, no partial OBC, no gas gauge, etc.
i forget the short list of potential causes and fixes.
any help???
THANKS!!!!
rkj
February 01, 2011 12:21PM
stirv
keeps blowing again.
no TACH, no partial OBC, no gas gauge, etc.
i forget the short list of potential causes and fixes.
any help???
THANKS!!!!

My guess would be the reverse light wire, it goes down the stick, through the floor to the transmission. It usually frays an inch or two down by the floor level.

Good luck, Rick
February 01, 2011 12:53PM
thanks Rick. i remembered this. my back up lights were out before this too, must be it.

THANKS!
February 01, 2011 08:16PM
After I fixed my wires the second time I figured out that they were rubbing on the guibo. I ran them though a very loose wire tie on my shift linkage to hold them up and I haven't had any more trouble. I think there's a clip up there somewhere that's supposed to hold them up, but it doesn't seem to work very well.

John
February 02, 2011 12:04PM
It's awkward getting at the wires to the reverse switch on the side of the transmission from underneath the car. So, I've never bothered trying to figure out where mine are shorting out.

I simply unplugged the two-wire connector under the shift-lever boot inside the car, then ran my own wires from there to an illuminated rocker switch on my dash. The switch lights up red so I can't forget to turn off the reverse lights (although I still sometimes forget).

Bonus, now I can flash my reverse lights manually whenever someone behind me forgets to dim their high-beams, thumbs up
February 02, 2011 06:19PM
Ferdinand
It's awkward getting at the wires to the reverse switch on the side of the transmission from underneath the car. So, I've never bothered trying to figure out where mine are shorting out.

I simply unplugged the two-wire connector under the shift-lever boot inside the car, then ran my own wires from there to an illuminated rocker switch on my dash. The switch lights up red so I can't forget to turn off the reverse lights (although I still sometimes forget).

Bonus, now I can flash my reverse lights manually whenever someone behind me forgets to dim their high-beams, thumbs up

Ferd, that is so simple!

I had dreamed of LED signs in my back window and even James Bond rocket launchers under the tail lights winking smiley

I like your idea better...but the iX is gone :burnout:
February 03, 2011 08:14AM
Ferdinand
smiling smiley
I used to do that with the first car I ever bought with my own money, a 1974 Corolla. The reverse lights would come on when you moved the shift lever over to the right on the way to reverse, but before you actually engaged the gear. So I could flash the reverse lights just by moving the shift lever.

February 03, 2011 04:13PM
Dave_G
Ferdinand
smiling smiley
I used to do that with the first car I ever bought with my own money, a 1974 Corolla. The reverse lights would come on when you moved the shift lever over to the right on the way to reverse, but before you actually engaged the gear. So I could flash the reverse lights just by moving the shift lever.

I've thought about mounting an old H3 rectangular driving light under the rear bumper for trailer duty (when I have to load up in the dark) and to be able to flash idiots in back of me ... smileys with beer
February 03, 2011 04:49PM
Sigh, you try something like that out here and it usually results in car to car shooting. Doesn't take much to set off road rage these days.

alan
rkj
February 03, 2011 08:33PM
alanrw
Sigh, you try something like that out here and it usually results in car to car shooting. Doesn't take much to set off road rage these days.

alan

Right, there's that!
February 04, 2011 07:33AM
alanrw
try something like that out here and it usually results in car to car shooting.
Note to self:
When in Southern California, keep fingers away from reverse light switch. :hitwithrock:
rkj
February 04, 2011 12:54PM
Ferdinand
alanrw
try something like that out here and it usually results in car to car shooting.
Note to self:
When in Southern California, keep fingers away from reverse light switch. :hitwithrock:

And they're so laid back out there, with all that nice weather and great beaches ... confused smiley
February 04, 2011 02:42PM
Well, it still is somewhat, it's just that a new element and new way of resolving perceived transgressions has emerged. It is a real dichotomy. I mean, I have lived out here my whole life, unfortunately, it has deteriorated IMHO due to increased population. Streets are crowded, people are frustrated with short fuses which can set the stage for really stupid behavior.

Sigh, I guess the dream is over........it was swell in the 60's and 70's to be sure.

alan
rkj
February 04, 2011 03:23PM
alanrw
Well, it still is somewhat, it's just that a new element and new way of resolving perceived transgressions has emerged. It is a real dichotomy. I mean, I have lived out here my whole life, unfortunately, it has deteriorated IMHO due to increased population. Streets are crowded, people are frustrated with short fuses which can set the stage for really stupid behavior.

Sigh, I guess the dream is over........it was swell in the 60's and 70's to be sure.

alan

I'm sure that's happening all over to some degree. In the height of summer here, in the hamptons there can be some awful behavior :hitwithrock:
February 04, 2011 08:09PM
I lived in SoCal in the mid to late 80's and I remember several cases of freeway shootings. One of them happened only minutes behind me near San Diego. Turned out some poor hapless fellow in an old pick up signalled and changed lanes too quickly for the guy following him. The follower sped up, pulled along side and blew the pickup driver's head off with some huge revolver sad smiley

That incident started a rash of freeway shootings buy bored, rich and stupid young men in their early 20s :censored:
February 04, 2011 09:50PM
And usually, they get the shooter who then earns an all expense paid 20 year vacation courtesy of the state penal system. What baffles me is the notion that having to make your point cost some poor soul his life and the shooter 20 years or more. It just doesn't add up.

just crazy, simply crazy.

alan
February 05, 2011 03:22PM
I lived in SoCal at that time and it got a lot of publicity on TV news and suddenly there was a rash of them. The news media was accused of sensationalism and causing more copycat actions. They denied it of course but stopped talking about it and only reported the convictions for the offense. Hard to say if they stopped or not since the news was selective. Have not heard much about it in recent years though.

Bob in Lake Havasu
February 09, 2011 11:32PM
I love how you guys digressed on my post! lol here's the textbook fix from a guy on the E30tech forum:

Yes, the reverse light circuit is the common cause for fuse 10 blowing.

The quick, illegal work-around is to pop off the upper shift boot and unplug the wiring harness that goes through the lower rubber shift boot. The connector should be a few inches from the boot, just under the lighter socket.

Before you get under the car, have the following clips ready. The two plastic ones hold the wires to the shifter support. The metal clip holds the wires to a fin on the transmission case. They tend to get lost when a hack mechanic doesn't put the cable back exactly

25-11-1-220-837 Cable clamp, reverse switch cable to shifter support $0.39/0.31
61-13-8-364-037 Cable clamp, reverse cable to transmission case $0.10/0.09

If the rubber boot is split (or more likely, cut), you'll need to replace that as well. Be certain that the wires run through the hole in the boot, not between the boot and sheet metal. It's NOT OK to cut a slit in the boot to route the wires. You must disconnect them from the reverse switch on the side of the transmission, feed them through the hole in the boot, clip them to the shifter support and transmission case and reattach them to the reverse switch. Otherwise they will short out again.
February 09, 2011 11:34PM
and i still have not done it yet. . .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login