Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heater core for Christmas

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
December 27, 2008 07:38PM
One item on my Santa's list was a new heater core. It came, believe it or not. The one in my car only leaks when it is cold soaked overnight. When the temp gets down to around 40 or 45, it seeps coolant into the car and takes a while to evaporate it onto the windshield. So, a new one seems the only cure.

Anyone else have similar experience? Just wondering if it is repairable.

Bob in Everett
December 27, 2008 07:55PM
Bob in Everett
One item on my Santa's list was a new heater core. It came, believe it or not. The one in my car only leaks when it is cold soaked overnight. When the temp gets down to around 40 or 45, it seeps coolant into the car and takes a while to evaporate it onto the windshield. So, a new one seems the only cure.

Bob in Everett

They have aluminum cores which are prone to corrosion. More often though they are destroyed by using the older coolant with high phosphate content.
Once they are 'holed' there's nut much you can do. If you patch up one leak; another one won't be far behind sad smiley
rkj
December 27, 2008 09:15PM
Archeo-peteriX
Bob in Everett

Bob in Everett

They have aluminum cores which are prone to corrosion. More often though they are destroyed by using the older coolant with high phosphate content.
Once they are 'holed' there's nut much you can do. If you patch up one leak; another one won't be far behind sad smiley

That's true, newer cores both radator and heater do not lend themselves to fixing, they're expendable.
February 04, 2009 10:00PM
Finally put the new core in the car. Because it is a convertible, had extra braces between the dash and the tranny tunnel. Took the seat out to facilitate the access; glad I did. The old core was leaking/seeping at the end seal on the far end. I would guess it could be crimped tighter and made to work. I might pry the end off and see what it looks like. Corrosion did not seem too evident in the ends of the tubes I could see. Still get a bit of a smell once in a while but now it is while hot instead of just warming up. Did wipe out the inside of the box while the core was out. Not much evidence of fluid leaking in sufficient quantity to flow out the drain tube under the core though.

Made a modification to the procedures in a previous post in this thread. I put a piece of heater hose over the upper tube that extends into the engine compartment. Blew into it to force coolant out the lower one till I could not get any more to come out. Only a little to soak up with a towel when removing the control valve. One improvement might be to also put a piece of hose on the lower one to better catch the coolant and not spill so much of it. New o-rings a must. The old ones were permanently formed into a non- circular cross section. Probably would not have sealed up the new install. Hope the intermittent smell stops. Would hate to have to take it out again. Do not know how long the warranty is good for.

Bob in Everett
February 04, 2009 11:07PM
Bob in Everett
Finally put the new core in the car. Because it is a convertible, had extra braces between the dash and the tranny tunnel. Took the seat out to facilitate the access; glad I did. The old core was leaking/seeping at the end seal on the far end. I would guess it could be crimped tighter and made to work. I might pry the end off and see what it looks like. Corrosion did not seem too evident in the ends of the tubes I could see. Still get a bit of a smell once in a while but now it is while hot instead of just warming up. Did wipe out the inside of the box while the core was out. Not much evidence of fluid leaking in sufficient quantity to flow out the drain tube under the core though.

Made a modification to the procedures in a previous post in this thread. I put a piece of heater hose over the upper tube that extends into the engine compartment. Blew into it to force coolant out the lower one till I could not get any more to come out. Only a little to soak up with a towel when removing the control valve. One improvement might be to also put a piece of hose on the lower one to better catch the coolant and not spill so much of it. New o-rings a must. The old ones were permanently formed into a non- circular cross section. Probably would not have sealed up the new install. Hope the intermittent smell stops. Would hate to have to take it out again. Do not know how long the warranty is good for.

Bob in Everett

Yeah, the trick I learned doing Heater Core O-rings on Range Rovers is to pull the lower hose and stick it into a bottle, then pull the top and use a blow gun to force the coolant out and into the bottle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login