Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Non starting 318i M40 (fuel issues, I think)

Posted by Flyboy 
rkj
Flyboy
Hi Guys, thanks for the advice.
Yes I will do a leak down test if things don't get better, but again, lesson learnt, it didn't do it before, only since it is all back together....mmmmmm??
Rick, no we don't get the same product here, Chevron does not have a presence in South Africa, but there are plenty of other makes of injector cleaners, from Wynn's, Castrol etc, as I have always said, I would sell body parts to get my hands on a crate of Seafoam, I think that is the best thing since sliced bread.
I will run some injector cleaner through as well, I last sat with a toothbrush and a jar of solvent and cleaned the injectors about five years ago, when I had the head off to do the head gasket.
By the way, the car is now on 350 000Km but previous owner says the speedo was out of commission for about a year at one stage.
I do about 20 000Km a year on average, so the injectors were cleaned about 100 000Km ago.
But as I said, I will give it another run out to the airport today and then pull the plugs, and do a reading.
Being that it didn't do it before, only since it is all back together, I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now, and put it down to the ECU busy remapping, I have only done about 70Km since getting it running, not sure how long this mapping Malarkey takes? Anyone?

Did I read five days of running?
Can Seafoam be shipped or is it considered hazardous? I have seen it all over the place here in California.

alan
Just found this:

[www.seafoamsales.com]

The MSDS sheet says it has naptha in it so it is very very flammable so hazardous shipping probably applies.

alan
It's not so much the running as the restarts that count.
Usually, half a dozen starts should get things up to snuff smiling smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
It's not so much the running as the restarts that count.
Usually, half a dozen starts should get things up to snuff smiling smiley

Maybe the increase in power/internal pressure of the motor now the cams and valves function better it's creating more pull on the injectors. Weakest link thing...
Hi all, just a quick update, so you don't think I have disappeared.
I have been running the car for about 10 days now, hoping the lumpy idle and the stalling would sort itself out.
Well it has pretty much, I am pleased to say, seems the ECU has found its feet and made friends with the new parts, she is 99% there now, idles rock steady at 750rpm, on the odd occasion when it does hunt, it is by no more than 50 rpm, so quite negligible, but I still notice it.

I do think the injectors are leaky, if I start her first thing in the morning or in the afternoon, after she has been standing for about 8 hours or so, she fires right up.
But if I attempt a start after 2 or 3 hours, she is flooded, and I have to crank for a while with the accelerator wide open, so I think the injectors are leaking down.
Well I am going to throw 2 bottles of injector cleaner into the tank tonight and see how it goes.

Other than that she pulls strong, motor is dead quite and I am happy again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
rkj
Flyboy
Hi all, just a quick update, so you don't think I have disappeared.
I have been running the car for about 10 days now, hoping the lumpy idle and the stalling would sort itself out.
Well it has pretty much, I am pleased to say, seems the ECU has found its feet and made friends with the new parts, she is 99% there now, idles rock steady at 750rpm, on the odd occasion when it does hunt, it is by no more than 50 rpm, so quite negligible, but I still notice it.

I do think the injectors are leaky, if I start her first thing in the morning or in the afternoon, after she has been standing for about 8 hours or so, she fires right up.
But if I attempt a start after 2 or 3 hours, she is flooded, and I have to crank for a while with the accelerator wide open, so I think the injectors are leaking down.
Well I am going to throw 2 bottles of injector cleaner into the tank tonight and see how it goes.

Other than that she pulls strong, motor is dead quite and I am happy again.

Perseverance furthers smileys with beer Happy Motoring Stan- It's nice to have a few M40 people here. We're lacking in that department.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login