Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stereo Access

Posted by Milo 
January 03, 2011 01:31PM
I've got a '90s vintage JVC cassette/w CD changer in the trunk, I bought a little iPod adapter cable that plugs in where the CD changer goes. How do I get there?

I'm guessing that I have to take the console out (shoulda waited to put that new shift knob on) and attack it from the bottom.

Wisdom?

Thanks.
Matt in Everett

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
January 03, 2011 01:35PM
Hmm, if the headset doesn't have a 3.5mm jack on the face which it probably doesn't, there are aftermarket devices that plumb into the rear of the headset. The only question is do they have one for a 21 year old headset?

You can try here;

[www.crutchfield.com]

Or google Ipod Car adapters.

alan
January 03, 2011 01:50PM
I've got an aftermarket JVC head unit already, the CD changer plugs into the back of it and my iPod cable plugs in where the changer used to. Once I get access it'll be easy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2011 01:54PM by Milo.
January 03, 2011 03:17PM
I'm sorry, I misread your post. You are asking how to get access to the back of the headset. Typically, you pop off the black plastic frame that surrounds the headset with a pocket knife. Now on either side of the head set you will see a couple of tabs (or you might have to insert a release tool). Once the side locks are released, the headset slides right out. You don't have to disassemble the console. If your headset requires a special key and you don't have it, a car stereo install shop probably would. Watch how they do it and make sure you get a removal key.

If you have the orig. manual for the headset, the key might be inside of it. If not, the instructions should show how to insert and remove the radio. If you don't have the manual, do a google search, lots of amazing stuff out there.

Typically, the key pushes a tab towards the middle of the radio so the radio can slide out of the surrounding metal sleeve it normally resides in.

Also, be aware, some radios had/have a code that has to be entered in the event the power is interrupted. This was an anti theft device which rendered the radio useless if you didn't have the code.

alan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2011 03:20PM by alanrw.
January 03, 2011 04:41PM
The CD connector will be on the back of the radio. The ipod connector can be fed over into the glove compartment.

If you do not want the CD changer, I might be able to use it if it fits the stock radio. My CD changer went haywire a couple of years ago.

Let me know,
Bob in Everett
January 03, 2011 04:52PM
After some gentle pulling and the sound of snapping plastic I got the head unit out of it's slot, unplugged the CD changer, plugged in my adapter cable and it doesn't work. If the head unit is selected to CHANGER when I swap cables it works but the button doesn't work with the iPod cable hooked up.

fail.

I'd like a new head unit anyway, on the list after cat. converter, radiator hoses and a visit to a professional E30 guy.

Matt in Everett, WA

January 03, 2011 04:59PM
Sounds like the radio was made before the ipod was invented. had the same problem with one of my radios. The ipod works just fine but the ipad is not recognized.

What are you going to do with the CD changer?

Bob in Everett
January 03, 2011 05:27PM
Yours if you want it, you can plug it in and check it first.

Matt

Matt in Everett, WA

January 03, 2011 06:22PM
check your PM.

Bob in Everett

Bob in Lake Havasu
January 03, 2011 07:13PM
When I move to the Seattle area, maybe I'll consider Everett. You people seem friendly winking smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
January 03, 2011 07:52PM
Earendil
When I move to the Seattle area, maybe I'll consider Everett. You people seem friendly winking smiley

Parts Karma, I've been involved in the Moto Guzzi community for years and we call it parts karma, giving leads to receiving when you need it.

Matt in Everett, WA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login