Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Christmas Miracle?

Posted by rkj 
rkj
December 26, 2010 04:41PM
So, this morning it was snowing/raining and definitely damp to say the least. Last week when I replaced the throttle body warmer cork gasket and the ignition wires with it's trigger wire and cleaned various connections I was hoping for some good news; the car started up instantly this morning and has been running (idling lower and more steady) much more smoothly ever since it's recent visit to the shop. I'm not going to say (or think) that my damp weather issues are fixed just yet but it was a good sign this morning. Now Eubie is resting back in the shop while this Blizzard races overhead and I pray our mighty oaks stay pointing the right way eye rolling smiley

Here's hoping, Rick
December 26, 2010 05:31PM
Good work on getting it working. It is so gratifying to be able to get in and go when the weather is bad.

Bob in Everett
December 26, 2010 07:19PM
rkj
So, this morning it was snowing/raining and definitely damp to say the least. Last week when I replaced the throttle body warmer cork gasket and the ignition wires with it's trigger wire and cleaned various connections I was hoping for some good news; the car started up instantly this morning and has been running (idling lower and more steady) much more smoothly ever since it's recent visit to the shop. I'm not going to say (or think) that my damp weather issues are fixed just yet but it was a good sign this morning. Now Eubie is resting back in the shop while this Blizzard races overhead and I pray our mighty oaks stay pointing the right way eye rolling smiley

Here's hoping, Rick

I have a feeling that your problem might have had something to do with that connector under the diagnostic plug that you hooked the spark plug sensor wire into.
Let's hope it stays fixed smiling smiley
rkj
December 26, 2010 07:38PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

Here's hoping, Rick

I have a feeling that your problem might have had something to do with that connector under the diagnostic plug that you hooked the spark plug sensor wire into.
Let's hope it stays fixed smiling smiley

Really? I thought that thing (the trigger wire) was not such an important thing. Or are you talking about something different? The plug under the manifold was super clean but I cleaned it again anyway.
December 26, 2010 09:31PM
The wire is pretty much insignificant; just over engineering by BMW.

I was referring to how many problems that 'cleaned' connector can cause though. Since all the signals that trigger the injectors and have sensor feed back on the engine pass through it, that connector is a focal point where even the smallest bit of corrosion can cause electrical problems. It doesn't even have to be visible to be a problem.
A good cleaning with electrical contact cleaner and perhaps a a good slathering of dielectric grease goes a long way to preventing moisture related problems smileys with beer
rkj
December 27, 2010 12:46PM
Archeo-peteriX
The wire is pretty much insignificant; just over engineering by BMW.

I was referring to how many problems that 'cleaned' connector can cause though. Since all the signals that trigger the injectors and have sensor feed back on the engine pass through it, that connector is a focal point where even the smallest bit of corrosion can cause electrical problems. It doesn't even have to be visible to be a problem.
A good cleaning with electrical contact cleaner and perhaps a a good slathering of dielectric grease goes a long way to preventing moisture related problems smileys with beer

Yes yes, out here it's a real issue (it's always damp/salty)... Here's hoping smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login