Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sunroof Crank Droop

Posted by Milo 
December 24, 2010 03:11PM
It's Christmas Eve, my kids have just thumped me in a game of Monopoly so I have a few minutes with my wounded pride to ask another question.

My sunroof crank doesn't stay up in it's pocket after closing, is there a worn detent up there that's fixable or do I just have to deal with it?

It doesn't bother me much but it annoys my wife.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
December 24, 2010 04:09PM
I had one of those sunroofs with a crank a while back but do not remember what held the handle up there. Seemed to be it snapped into something. Can you wrap the handle with some colored electrical tape that matches the headliner color and tighten up the fit?

Bob in Everett
December 25, 2010 01:34PM
The crank has detent balls on each side of the handle. The handle folds up into a slot that spreads out over time resulting in the detent not working like it should. Remove the handle and you will see all this on the back side if the handle. I was able to get mine to work better by squeezing the sides of the slot together with channel locks. Mine has started drooping again, and I'm a little worried about trying the squeeze repair again. I bet you can't do it too many times before it breaks. Give it a try and good luck. You certainly don't want to disappoint your wife with a droopy crank. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login