Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I might by an ix...

Posted by Earendil 
December 23, 2010 05:54PM
The intent would be to flip it after some repairs. I have a buddy with no more time or desire to work on his 91 ix. He asked me to go over it and figure out what's wrong with it so he can make an honest sale (he's a good guy). I've been trying to figure out if the major components are good, which was going great until I did a compression test. I didn't realize there was two ways to do this, so I only have the cold dry test, which produced these numbers:

I remember that these numbers are supposed to be around 150, but that it was more important that the numbers were close to eachother. With this same gauge, I remember getting numbers on my very solid engine between 135 and 142(I think). So the gauge could just read low. But I cant find an acceptable And consistent "difference". one place online said 4.5% variance, another said 10%. Thoughts? My bentley lived in my trunk out of sight for too long, and it was just removed soaking wet and rather unusable sad smiley

The car seemed to run just fine, with the only obvious issue being a serious cold engine hunt that goes between 450 and 1500 rpm. The coolant temp sensor seemed to give a proper ambient temp resistance, so now it's time for more reading on that smiling smiley But lots of little things wrong...
I'll post pictures later. I REALY dont need another project car, but It is just too cheap to pass up...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2010 05:58PM by Earendil.
December 23, 2010 06:12PM
The compression is ok. There is less than 10% difference. I have checked mine a few times over the years and one cylinder might be low and next time it is a different one. Technique and valve wear variation could be the reason. What the info tells you is that the head gasket is ok and no valve problems that take $1000 to fix. If I did not already have two E-30s I would want an iX myself.

Bob in Everett
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login