Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E30 Fan Blower

Posted by Doug S 
December 23, 2010 03:55PM
So I'm driving home in a downpour with my defroster going full blast when all of a sudden, an incredible, loud, annoying noise comes from my fan blower. I went from 4 to 2 just to make the noise sort of tolerable, but 3 or 4 sound like a buzz saw. I took it apart today and one of the plastic fans on the blower motor has started to disintegrate, and its little fan blades are smacking the housing.

I quote from the Bentley manual - CAUTION - Do not remove the fan wheels or reposition them on the motor shaft. Blower motors are balanced in their assembled state. Changing the position of the fans can lead to noisy operation and rapid bearing failure.

OK, that said, has anybody experienced this and replaced one of the plastic fans? or just bought a used motor with fans, or gasp...dare I say it, bit the bullet and shelled out the big jack for a new motor?

I'm pretty sure there isn't a new fan blower motor under my Christmas tree.....and if anybody has a clever and inexpensive fix....I would like to hear about it.

Thanks

Doug S
December 23, 2010 04:13PM
A salvage fan motor is the way to go. A new one is very expensive.

Bob in Everett
rkj
December 23, 2010 05:29PM
Bob in Everett
A salvage fan motor is the way to go. A new one is very expensive.

Bob in Everett

Just be careful Doug, those plastic blades are so brittle when they get old. Rick
December 23, 2010 09:03PM
Yes they are brittle. I am a little afraid of a used blower because the blades on one of my fans are just like matchsticks. It would be nice if you could just replace the plastic pieces.....but that doesn't appear to be case. I'll do some more research tomorrow.
Doug S
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login