December 05, 2010 02:40PM

Timing belt done, putting everything back together I bolt the top of the radiator in and find that it doesn't reach the lower bumpers and is just swinging in the breeze waiting to kiss the fan.

The car has had some front end drama in it's life but this looks too consistant to be tweaked sheetmetal...or I could be wrong.

I'm going to try to secure it somehow, taller bumpers would be cool.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
December 05, 2010 02:50PM
Was is secured before you did the timing belt?

alan
December 05, 2010 03:05PM
Probably missed some rubber bumpers it is supposed to set on. There should be some on each side.

Bob in Everett
December 05, 2010 03:37PM
alanrw

alan

No idea...I just undid the two top bolts and it popped right out.
I "fixed" it by shimming the two bumpers up with some old plastic bushings from my can-o-junk and running a bolt through it instead of the plastic scrivets.. It still doesn't rest on the bumpers but the radiator can't swing into the fan now.

Old cars are fun.

I'll be back...brace yourselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
rkj
December 05, 2010 03:52PM
Milo
alanrw

alan

No idea...I just undid the two top bolts and it popped right out.
I "fixed" it by shimming the two bumpers up with some old plastic bushings from my can-o-junk and running a bolt through it instead of the plastic scrivets.. It still doesn't rest on the bumpers but the radiator can't swing into the fan now.

Old cars are fun.

I'll be back...brace yourselves.

Gotta love the can of junk!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login