Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Exhaust is Toast

Posted by Milo 
December 04, 2010 05:37PM
1987 325, the section with the cat. converter is ugly, everything after that is fine. With the car up on jacks for the first time doing the timing belt you get a whole new point of view..

What's the best full system replacement for a daily driver with no performance aspirations?
December 04, 2010 06:14PM
might try patching it with some muffler patch kit from the auto parts store. Cost is about $5. Works for a few months at a time. I nursed mine along for almost a year while I tried to find a replacement. Keep your eye out for someone parting out a similar car on the BMW club websites.

Bob in Everett
[www.bmwpugetsound.com]
[www.bmwpugetsound.com]

These guys have parted out several cars and may have something for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 06:17PM by Bob in Everett.
December 04, 2010 07:29PM
I would definitely go stainless steel if the budget allows it, if not, do as Bob says, nurse it along for a while and put a few dollars aside and save up for one.
Although it is is more expensive, it is definitely worthwhile in the long run, a stainless steel system will last you forever and a day, your grand kids will be the next ones to worry about exhaust issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
rkj
December 04, 2010 08:12PM
My 2cents worth; buy a new system, a steel one. The front pipe lasts a good long time, it's the rears that go fast. They're expensive enough at 400 or so... Rick
December 04, 2010 08:58PM
[www.realoem.com]

Matt,
This site is helpful to identify parts for your E30.

Bob in Everett
December 05, 2010 09:25AM
Had bite the bullet on that one a few months ago. My car wouldn't pass smog, diagnosis-bad cat converter. Bought a new one from BAV. Perfect fit, easy bolt up (of course, the car was on a lift which made all the difference in the world).

alan
rkj
December 05, 2010 11:07AM
alanrw
Had bite the bullet on that one a few months ago. My car wouldn't pass smog, diagnosis-bad cat converter. Bought a new one from BAV. Perfect fit, easy bolt up (of course, the car was on a lift which made all the difference in the world).

alan

You're lucky Alan, the last two I bought from there had to be heated (a little downstream of the 02 sensor) and bent up so it would line up with the rest of the system. One was my wife's 1987 325e and the other was my car, 1988 325is eye rolling smiley

Rick
December 05, 2010 02:47PM
Hmmm, I bet they went back to the vender who adjusted the jig they weld them up on.

alan
December 05, 2010 03:43PM
alanrw

alan

Shorthand doesn't work for rookies...Google says BAV is bavauto.com, right?

Item: BMW1407 $379+shipping? Looks promising.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
rkj
December 05, 2010 03:49PM
Milo
alanrw

alan

Shorthand doesn't work for rookies...Google says BAV is bavauto.com, right?

Item: BMW1407 $379+shipping? Looks promising.

Yes, you got it right Matt.

Alan, I've always had great fits with Bav's pipes, I was surprised by these last two... Rick
December 05, 2010 05:30PM
Just checked. I got it from Pelican for $404. Add in tax and shipping and it went up to like $460.

alan
rkj
December 05, 2010 06:12PM
alanrw
Just checked. I got it from Pelican for $404. Add in tax and shipping and it went up to like $460.

alan

All things considered though, it's not bad for a pricey piece of exhaust. I wonder what a factory piece would set you back?
December 06, 2010 06:30AM
Looking up at the rusty bolts coming off the manifold it looks like a PITA to get off. Any advise besides Liquid Wrench, heat, profanity and patience?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

December 06, 2010 07:44AM
rkj
alanrw

alan

All things considered though, it's not bad for a pricey piece of exhaust. I wonder what a factory piece would set you back?

Around $1800.

[www.pelicanparts.com]

alan
rkj
December 06, 2010 10:15AM
alanrw
rkj
alanrw

alan

Around $1800.

[www.pelicanparts.com]

alan

See B) 400 or so doesn't sound too bad...
December 06, 2010 10:36AM
Nope, not at all. We all know about buying parts at the dealership. The part I got from Pelican was just fine, bolted right up, car passed smog with flying colors. Probably a good idea to get a new O2 sensor as well. I believe the sensor is downstream of the cat on an 84 and my understanding the cat goes bad, it can take out the sensor? I replaced mine as it was years and years since it had been done.

alan
rkj
December 06, 2010 04:14PM
alanrw
Nope, not at all. We all know about buying parts at the dealership. The part I got from Pelican was just fine, bolted right up, car passed smog with flying colors. Probably a good idea to get a new O2 sensor as well. I believe the sensor is downstream of the cat on an 84 and my understanding the cat goes bad, it can take out the sensor? I replaced mine as it was years and years since it had been done.

alan

Absolutely, actually the 02 is upstream of the cat on both of the sixes and by all means you should chuck it. Also the old cats have a habit of breaking up and filling the rear section creating major amounts of back pressure. If you shake em or just hit the can with a rubber hammer you'll get an earful!

The trans mount is always a good check idea too smiling smiley most all of my exhaust jobs have come to have the manifolds off also; those studs and nuts are always a blast to deal with!

Rick
December 06, 2010 04:19PM
Yes, all our E30s have the O2 sensor between the exhaust manifold and the cat. That is the OBD1 scenario.
The later models with OBD2 have O2 sensors on both sides of the cat. grinning smiley
December 06, 2010 09:08PM
Those "rusty" bolts might have copper nuts on them. Which means that they may come off. Did you get a replacement to go back with if they do come off? Would not want to be out of commission waiting on parts.

New copper nuts are recommended but I did reuse mine when I replaced my muffler.

Bob in Everett
December 06, 2010 09:22PM
[www.bmwpugetsound.com]
Possible fit for yours...
Bob in Everett
December 07, 2010 07:05AM
Thanks for the heads-up Bob.

PM sent, hope it works out.

Matt in Everett, WA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login