Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated Seat element repair

Posted by longtallsally 
October 27, 2010 01:40PM
So in a junk yard pilferage extravaganza a while back I scored heated seat elements, wiring harness, switches, etc. Well, the elements are all bad. So I'm trying to repair them from this:

To this:

Well I've got continuity to and through the places I soldered in, but not all the way and I can't find any more burn marks so there is an invisible break somewhere else methinks.

So my question is, do you think it it's worth it to keep trying to save these, or should I just get a set of aftermarket ones and splice them in?
rkj
October 27, 2010 04:10PM
longtallsally
So in a junk yard pilferage extravaganza a while back I scored heated seat elements, wiring harness, switches, etc. Well, the elements are all bad. So I'm trying to repair them from this:

To this:

Well I've got continuity to and through the places I soldered in, but not all the way and I can't find any more burn marks so there is an invisible break somewhere else methinks.

So my question is, do you think it it's worth it to keep trying to save these, or should I just get a set of aftermarket ones and splice them in?

I'm probably the worst person to comment on this but I wouldn't trust old seat heaters only because of all the flexing for that kind of time.

My input, get new ones smiling smiley
October 27, 2010 06:22PM
I agree that there is another break you have not found yet. Do not know of an easy way to find the breaks inside the fabric covering. Hope you have not introduced a potential for fire. I have a bad element in my driver seat and am tempted to have it replaced.

Bob in everett
rkj
October 27, 2010 07:46PM
Bob in Everett
I agree that there is another break you have not found yet. Do not know of an easy way to find the breaks inside the fabric covering. Hope you have not introduced a potential for fire. I have a bad element in my driver seat and am tempted to have it replaced.

Bob in everett

I don't think fire is the issue (although, it could happen) but it's more of a chase your tail thing with old seat heaters that are problematic confused smiley
October 27, 2010 10:57PM
Yeah I agree. I've not got too much time in the repair, so it's not a huge deal, but my logic is the same in that it seems a bit silly to try to save a 20 year old part known to not be the best. I definitely won't be getting new OEM ones for a couple reason, the first of which is that they are $$$$. Flea Bay has a full kit for $70 for one seat and I'm waiting to see if they'll just sell a couple elements. I'll just clip the end of the failed ones I've currently got and splice to the new aftermarket one so I can keep the system easily fixed.

It really is more of a fishing/learning exercise to verify my logic in how the system works.

Thanks for the responses guys.
October 28, 2010 08:21AM
Hmmm, I would think the fabric that the wire is embedded in is a fire resistant nomex type of fabric. If you have repaired the wire, that implies that the wire could be external of the nomex and possibly lead to something smoking/burning if inadvertant contact is made. Saying that, based on the condition of the wires in the element, I would think you will continue to chase your tail. Best move; new heater elements?

alan
October 28, 2010 12:55PM
Yup, this was more of a fishing/learning expedition and it served it's purpose. The Flea Bay dude will do $55 per seat for the elements and that 1/4 the cost of the OEM ones. I was more or less just confirming my logic in the process. In terms of a fire hazard, I don't really think there would be one. At most it would singe and burn some material, but I don't think it would get hot enough to spontaneously combust.
rkj
October 30, 2010 08:42AM
longtallsally
Yup, this was more of a fishing/learning expedition and it served it's purpose. The Flea Bay dude will do $55 per seat for the elements and that 1/4 the cost of the OEM ones. I was more or less just confirming my logic in the process. In terms of a fire hazard, I don't really think there would be one. At most it would singe and burn some material, but I don't think it would get hot enough to spontaneously combust.

Well, it should have a fuse in the circut that would blow way before any fire starts I would think..... winter's coming eye rolling smiley seat heaters are one option I truly wish I had.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login