Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anti-lock (ABS) light

Posted by Dave_G 
October 21, 2010 06:57AM
Recently the anti-lock light came on in my '91 iX, and I'm getting tired of looking at it every day. I've got the circuit diagram from the electrical troubleshooting manual, but there's an awful lot of components shown there that I could check. Is there a most common point of failure in these things that I should look at first? (Maybe something nice and simple like fuse?)

October 21, 2010 08:21AM
The usual suspects are the wheel sensors and the wiring to them.

If the car has been jump started; there is also the possibility of the ABS relay fuse being blown.
Ferdinand has a nice pictorial showing the fix for the fuse.
rkj
October 21, 2010 04:31PM
Archeo-peteriX

If the car has been jump started; there is also the possibility of the ABS relay fuse being blown.

My remedy was to take that offending bulb out of the dash cluster, I hate the ABS anyway; it was the first thing I disconnected when I bought the car B) I've said this so many times I'm a broken record but I hate anything between me and the road; it's a connection I've been working on all my life and I don't intend to stop now..... blah blah

Rick (the old fart)
October 21, 2010 05:00PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

My remedy was to take that offending bulb out of the dash cluster, I hate the ABS anyway; it was the first thing I disconnected when I bought the car B) I've said this so many times I'm a broken record but I hate anything between me and the road; it's a connection I've been working on all my life and I don't intend to stop now..... blah blah

Rick (the old fart)

That's because you know how to drive winking smiley
October 21, 2010 05:03PM
rkj
My remedy was to take that offending bulb out of the dash cluster, I hate the ABS anyway; it was the first thing I disconnected when I bought the car B)
Heh. smiling smiley

Y'know, it's funny, on my track car I absolutely refuse to have ABS too, and I can threshold brake from 100 MPH without locking up the wheels. But for some reason, I don't mind it on my street car. And I especially don't mind the ABS in my '91 E30, which is one of the least intrusive ABS systems I've experienced.

So, I think my decision will be based mostly on time and expense. If it's easy and cheap, I'll keep it. But if it's expensive and/or a PITA, I may just decide to join you in pulling the bulb. smiling smiley

FWIW, the first thing I did when I bought the car was to disconnect the #%^&$@# chime that told me when my headlights were on, or my door was open, or my key was in the ignition, or it was 37°F, or bla bla bla. It's pretty much the first thing I do whenever I buy a car.

October 21, 2010 08:01PM
Dave_G
rkj
My remedy was to take that offending bulb out of the dash cluster, I hate the ABS anyway; it was the first thing I disconnected when I bought the car B)
Heh. smiling smiley

Y'know, it's funny, on my track car I absolutely refuse to have ABS too, and I can threshold brake from 100 MPH without locking up the wheels. But for some reason, I don't mind it on my street car. And I especially don't mind the ABS in my '91 E30, which is one of the least intrusive ABS systems I've experienced.

So, I think my decision will be based mostly on time and expense. If it's easy and cheap, I'll keep it. But if it's expensive and/or a PITA, I may just decide to join you in pulling the bulb. smiling smiley

FWIW, the first thing I did when I bought the car was to disconnect the #%^&$@# chime that told me when my headlights were on, or my door was open, or my key was in the ignition, or it was 37°F, or bla bla bla. It's pretty much the first thing I do whenever I buy a car.

That's funny Dave, I left it hooked up in Janet's car and it comes on all the time in the snow (I hate it) but I've left it thinking it was a good thing for her.

Your track car is a miata ? what's your street car? I'm confused (as usual) confused smiley

I'm just interested why on the one car it's not good and on the others it is. The thirty has a beginning ABS design, I've always thought. I thought also the later ABS cars had a better set-up; further on design technology?
rkj
October 21, 2010 08:05PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Rick (the old fart)

That's because you know how to drive winking smiley

Thank you Peter, for keeping my illusions alive B)
October 21, 2010 10:22PM
Dave, when/if you get it fixed be sure and let us know what it was. I've been poking at my ABS off and on for a few years. Only ever cleaned the sensors, repaired the relay, and checked the wires. Never did get it fixed.
For regular street use I don't like ABS. However for the winters and hills up here I love having ABS. A track or dry road with a consistant surface friction is one thing, but I'm not a good enough driver to compensate for the snow-ice-powder-wet all in a 20 foot patch.

My problem is that I only want it in the snow....when it's cold out... which is when I don't want to work on my car. Doh!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login