Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gas filler pipe cover and acceleration hick-up

Posted by Kelly 
Hi Guys,

I hope all is well with you. Here in San Francisco, we are finally having our long overdue Indian summer. Usually it occurs in Sept rather than Oct. That's global warming for you.

I have what I hope are 2 minor issues. I'll start with the easy one.

Cover door for the gas filler pipe -

It does not want to stay closed. (It was fine before.) The spring seems hold the finger-notch side of the door about 1/2" away from the seated position. Now the electrical plunger locking rod misses its notch and the door is locked open. I looked at the wire spring a bit, and it does not seem damaged. I'm temped to try some small round magnets on either inside the door or on the body. Thoughts anyone?

Acceleration delay around 1950RMP -

I don't know if this is a problem of not. In the morning during my mostly down hill drive to work, the engine has a strangle little hick-up as if it is not receiving enough gas. After about 1.25 miles (maybe 8-10 min of driving time) the engine is pretty warm, but not fully warm I think. I stop at a stop sign and turn left. This particular intersection is pretty flat unlike the previous intersections. As I turn left, the engine has a brief hesitation as I accelerate. The hesitation seems to occur at 1900-1950RMP and lasts less than 1/2 a second. it is like RRRRrrrrrRRRRR. Then the engine picks up again. This hesitation may occur a couple more times, but each occurrence list less pronounced than the first occurrence. The delay can happen at other random times, but it is most obvious in the morning during the turn.

Please let me know if you have any insights into these issues.

Thanks, Kelly :-)
Kelly
Hi Guys,

I hope all is well with you. Here in San Francisco, we are finally having our long overdue Indian summer. Usually it occurs in Sept rather than Oct. That's global warming for you.

I have what I hope are 2 minor issues. I'll start with the easy one.

Cover door for the gas filler pipe -

It does not want to stay closed. (It was fine before.) The spring seems hold the finger-notch side of the door about 1/2" away from the seated position. Now the electrical plunger locking rod misses its notch and the door is locked open. I looked at the wire spring a bit, and it does not seem damaged. I'm temped to try some small round magnets on either inside the door or on the body. Thoughts anyone?

Acceleration delay around 1950RMP -

I don't know if this is a problem of not. In the morning during my mostly down hill drive to work, the engine has a strangle little hick-up as if it is not receiving enough gas. After about 1.25 miles (maybe 8-10 min of driving time) the engine is pretty warm, but not fully warm I think. I stop at a stop sign and turn left. This particular intersection is pretty flat unlike the previous intersections. As I turn left, the engine has a brief hesitation as I accelerate. The hesitation seems to occur at 1900-1950RMP and lasts less than 1/2 a second. it is like RRRRrrrrrRRRRR. Then the engine picks up again. This hesitation may occur a couple more times, but each occurrence list less pronounced than the first occurrence. The delay can happen at other random times, but it is most obvious in the morning during the turn.

Please let me know if you have any insights into these issues.

Thanks, Kelly :-)

Hi Kelly,

I just had a look at the gas filler door. Mine tends to be a little like yours when I close it; it doesn't seem to snug back up against the stops.
From what I can determine, this is likely caused by either the spring having lost some of it's tension over time or that the metal to metal contact of the spring in the 'finger' notch is binding. I'm going to try a drop of oil in the notch to see if this helps. If it doesn't, I'll take the spring out and put a little more tension in it.

As for the hickup; the iX will stumble when you hit the throttle for the first minute or so. This is not normal and I know it doesn't do it if I put premium fuel in it. Also, this is temperature dependent; it stumbles during the colder seasons but not during the warm seasons. Fortunately, it's not bad enough for me to even bother trying to sort it out.

I don't know if your issue is the same or not. If it has recently started doing this then something has gone out of spec and may get worse. Does it go completely away once the engine is warmed up to full operating temperature?
Archeo-peteriX
[Hi Kelly,

I just had a look at the gas filler door. Mine tends to be a little like yours when I close it; it doesn't seem to snug back up against the stops.
From what I can determine, this is likely caused by either the spring having lost some of it's tension over time or that the metal to metal contact of the spring in the 'finger' notch is binding. I'm going to try a drop of oil in the notch to see if this helps. If it doesn't, I'll take the spring out and put a little more tension in it.

As for the hickup; the iX will stumble when you hit the throttle for the first minute or so. This is not normal and I know it doesn't do it if I put premium fuel in it. Also, this is temperature dependent; it stumbles during the colder seasons but not during the warm seasons. Fortunately, it's not bad enough for me to even bother trying to sort it out.

I don't know if your issue is the same or not. If it has recently started doing this then something has gone out of spec and may get worse. Does it go completely away once the engine is warmed up to full operating temperature?

Hi P,

Well, the delay is 99% gone when the engine is fully warm. However I think Beemie likes to tease me, and it just hickups occationally just to test me.

Cheers, Kelly
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX
[Hi Kelly,

Hi P,

Well, the delay is 99% gone when the engine is fully warm. However I think Beemie likes to tease me, and it just hickups occationally just to test me.

Cheers, Kelly

Kelly,

If you don't give Beemie premeium fuel already; try a tank and see if it makes a difference.

And yes, the iX does occasionally tease me too; fortunately no driveability issues so far ... knock on wood thumbs up
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX
[Hi Kelly,

Hi P,

Cheers, Kelly

Kelly,

If you don't give Beemie premeium fuel already; try a tank and see if it makes a difference.

And yes, the iX does occasionally tease me too; fortunately no driveability issues so far ... knock on wood thumbs up

You could also try a tank dosed heavy with tectron (sp?....fuelinjection cleaner
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX
[Hi Kelly,

Hi P,

Cheers, Kelly

Kelly,

You could also try a tank dosed heavy with tectron (sp?....fuelinjection cleaner

Yes, it doesn't hurt to do that every couple of months if the car is primarily city driven smileys with beer
I agree about the injector cleaner. My mileage and performance were gradually getting to the intolerable point and I finally landed on the fix by having the injectors cleaned. That solved the problems. Now, I do occasionally put techtron injector cleaner in (because that is what Costco sells). It seems to be keeping the gremlins at bay. Now, if I could just get that darn oil leak fixed.

Bob in Everett
Hi All mis Amis!

I probably incorrectly spelled that, but I'm sure that you will forgive me.

Big update - the accelerator hesitation was a whole other story. Read on.

It rained all weekend. Happily I did not need to drive. Beemie (a convertible) was parked in its full upright and locked position – uphill with nose above tail to prevent leaks. Happily, there were no breaches.

Monday morn, the sun was shining and I started the car. It gave one hiccup (which is unusual) and then started quickly. So I warmed it up for a few minutes and then la-la-la we start driving to work. The first part is mostly a downhill stretch. When the downhill ends, and I must turn left and apply a little accelerator. (I'm sure that you will note that this thread began with troubles I first noted at this same left turn.) Now the troubles TRULY begin – the engine begins spiting, shuddering, and convulsing. I must have looked like a new stick shift driver from the outside. After the spasms briefly subside, I pull into a small parking lot maybe 200 ft after the left turn and consider my next action. I decide that it is best to head for the mechanic about 1.25 miles away rather than try crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in a semi-dilapidated condition. Beemie eeks its way toward the mechanic with me yelling “Come On, come on Beemie! You can do it!” We pull into the mechs ungracefully but unscathed – thank god.

After looking at the engine for a minute and manually turning the throttle on top of the engine which triggers yet another episode, the mech says “I think you should leave the car with us.” I reply “Yep.” I ride the bus to work.

About 2 hours later, the mechs call “Well, you have sparks going everywhere except where they are supposed to be going. The moisture in the air may have triggered this problem. The car needs a massive tune up: sparks, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, air filter, transmission fluid, diff fluid and an oil change.”

Around 6pm I arrive at the mechs to pick up Beemie. I will admit that it does sound much improved. (Should it worry me when the mechs tell me that my new car is ready? You may recall last month's new steering rack, tie rod ends, and rear suspension. Not to mention last year's new tires.) I think "Is that throaty sound actually my car? Thank god I did not pay extra for that." Beemie never really sounded bad until Monday morning. Usually, it sounds very regular, mechanical, and evenly consistent especially from the driver's seat when the Singer Sewing Machine valve clicking is predominate.

I'm not sure how the condition degraded from simple acceleration delay into unpredictable electrical firestorm resulting in engine seizures. In the words of MilliVanilli (lip-syncing pop singers of the late 1980's), should I "blame it on the rain?"

Peace, Kelly :-)
Not sure what diff fluid had to do with it but an old distributor cap with carbon tracks in it sure would make the car run the way it did; and worse when it's wet.

Glad it's all fixed up and ready for another million miles smileys with beer
rkj
Kelly
Hi All mis Amis!

I probably incorrectly spelled that, but I'm sure that you will forgive me.

Big update - the accelerator hesitation was a whole other story. Read on.

It rained all weekend. Happily I did not need to drive. Beemie (a convertible) was parked in its full upright and locked position – uphill with nose above tail to prevent leaks. Happily, there were no breaches.

Monday morn, the sun was shining and I started the car. It gave one hiccup (which is unusual) and then started quickly. So I warmed it up for a few minutes and then la-la-la we start driving to work. The first part is mostly a downhill stretch. When the downhill ends, and I must turn left and apply a little accelerator. (I'm sure that you will note that this thread began with troubles I first noted at this same left turn.) Now the troubles TRULY begin – the engine begins spiting, shuddering, and convulsing. I must have looked like a new stick shift driver from the outside. After the spasms briefly subside, I pull into a small parking lot maybe 200 ft after the left turn and consider my next action. I decide that it is best to head for the mechanic about 1.25 miles away rather than try crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in a semi-dilapidated condition. Beemie eeks its way toward the mechanic with me yelling “Come On, come on Beemie! You can do it!” We pull into the mechs ungracefully but unscathed – thank god.

After looking at the engine for a minute and manually turning the throttle on top of the engine which triggers yet another episode, the mech says “I think you should leave the car with us.” I reply “Yep.” I ride the bus to work.

About 2 hours later, the mechs call “Well, you have sparks going everywhere except where they are supposed to be going. The moisture in the air may have triggered this problem. The car needs a massive tune up: sparks, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, air filter, transmission fluid, diff fluid and an oil change.”

Around 6pm I arrive at the mechs to pick up Beemie. I will admit that it does sound much improved. (Should it worry me when the mechs tell me that my new car is ready? You may recall last month's new steering rack, tie rod ends, and rear suspension. Not to mention last year's new tires.) I think "Is that throaty sound actually my car? Thank god I did not pay extra for that." Beemie never really sounded bad until Monday morning. Usually, it sounds very regular, mechanical, and evenly consistent especially from the driver's seat when the Singer Sewing Machine valve clicking is predominate.

I'm not sure how the condition degraded from simple acceleration delay into unpredictable electrical firestorm resulting in engine seizures. In the words of MilliVanilli (lip-syncing pop singers of the late 1980's), should I "blame it on the rain?"

Peace, Kelly :-)

Oh Kelly, tell me about matey; I have a damp weather thread going (or is it two, I think one got so long I started a fresh one), anyway, that's another story!.... I do have one question though; Kelly sez

Rick sez

what do you mean about the throaty sound?, or is that something I just don't get (I'm a little slow sometimes-Peter, hush)

Any way, it seems you finally sorted the running issues out (wish I could say the same), right?

The fact that we enthusiast's sink money in to older cars (even if they are special) is a good point in our favor (or is it flavor), keeping a great car like the thirties going is just a good thing on so many levels and hopefully they do pay us back.

I know my two have been good investments; I would've bought the farm a few times with less of a car under me!

Nice going Kelly smileys with beer
A tout le monde, à tout mes amis.

Would be a good idea to quote a song in every message. Mine came from a Megadeth song.

I wouldn't be surprised some cracked spark leads would cause the sparking everywhere, except at the plugs, and an older distributor won't help then getting the plugs to spark.

Just think of this: it isn't a money pit, a newer car is more expensive and at least the E30 is nicer to look at! Just a tune up once in a while and it'll keep going for another couple of thousand miles.

Happy motoring!
I have had an occasional problem like that with water in the fuel I get. Have complained to the station but they blamed it on the ethanol in the gas but ethanol is what is used in fuel antifreeze because water will dissolve in it. A clean ignition system is important to limit a errant conductor path to ground. The inside of the distributor cap will get dirty due to ionizing of the metal from the contacts as the sparks pass through. This ionized metal will be deposited as a dirty looking film of soot like stuff that eventually will conduct to ground. As long as there is not a trace burned on it a thorough cleaning with detergent and hot water will rejuvenate the cap for more trouble free life.

Bob in Everett
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login