Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Price help, Used Transmission and Engine

Posted by Earendil 
October 05, 2010 03:15PM
So I put my parts car up on Craigslist. I was expecting people to come back and pick up small things. Didn't think anyone would email me wanting the transmission and engine!

Has anyone shipped/sold these before? Anyone want to take a stab at what an engine and transmission with 120,000 miles on it would go for? My primary concern is not screwing the guy over if he is also not aware, or scaring him off by asking too much. I just honestly have no clue sad smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
rkj
Earendil
So I put my parts car up on Craigslist. I was expecting people to come back and pick up small things. Didn't think anyone would email me wanting the transmission and engine!

Has anyone shipped/sold these before? Anyone want to take a stab at what an engine and transmission with 120,000 miles on it would go for? My primary concern is not screwing the guy over if he is also not aware, or scaring him off by asking too much. I just honestly have no clue sad smiley

2.5- 2.7 automatic or stick??? year, complete motor????

pick up only, right?
rkj
Earendil

pick up only, right?

Yeah, I suppose I could have given all the info smiling smiley

2.5, stick. 1987. Lots of missing components (IDC, AFM, plug wires, belt driven accessories), but everything else from the oil pan to the intake manifold is there. Basically if it bolts or screws onto the block, it's there. Also, the car was in a front end wreck. The car is reported to have ran after the wreck, and looking at the inside of the car the radiator never hit anything. However there is always that possibility I suppose, so it could be considered in the price.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Earendil
rkj
Earendil

pick up only, right?

2.5, stick. 1987. Lots of missing components (IDC, AFM, plug wires, belt driven accessories), but everything else from the oil pan to the intake manifold is there. Basically if it bolts or screws onto the block, it's there. Also, the car was in a front end wreck. The car is reported to have ran after the wreck, and looking at the inside of the car the radiator never hit anything. However there is always that possibility I suppose, so it could be considered in the price.

A good solid engine and transmission with this low mileage on it should be worth ~$1000-$1500 to the right person. Low mileage drive trains like this are becoming extremely rare and should command a decent price thumbs up
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Earendil
rkj
Earendil

pick up only, right?

A good solid engine and transmission with this low mileage on it should be worth ~$1000-$1500 to the right person. Low mileage drive trains like this are becoming extremely rare and should command a decent price thumbs up

I would agree but a compression test is nice to back up some sort of baseline for the motor, around here $ 500-800 would be normal.
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Earendil
rkj
Earendil

pick up only, right?

I would agree but a compression test is nice to back up some sort of baseline for the motor, around here $ 500-800 would be normal.

That's about right...my guesstimate was in canuck bucks grinning smiley

If the negine is still in the car and it can be cranked by the battery; a compression test is free advertising smiling smiley
And the compression test results would help you if the buyer wants to play games after the sale. Make sure you state "sold as is no warranties".

alan
$100 for every point scored on the compression ratio test (averaged over the cylinders)?
You also have the choice to strap it to a pallet after draining the oils and shipping via motor freight. You can estimates from a freight company.

alan
Thanks everyone for the comments!

I had already told one fellow that he could have the whole car for $300. Quite low, but it was before I posted here, and I never thought the guy would take it. But he has!

A couple things make this okay for me:

1. The car will be gone! The goal was to have it gone before winter... and before my landlord got upset grinning smiley
2. I bought the car from a friend for $50.
3. I've already made $100 on other parts sold.
4. I pulled the Bilstein Shocks and H&R sports, as well as an LSD, and put it on my car. I've snatched a number of other smallers things as well.
5. I just found out the guy buying it is using it to build up a PRO-3 car that he hopes to have racing by next spring.

So after all that, I'm okay will having what's left of the car vanish, and a couple Ben Franklins come raining down. A few MORE Benjamins would of course be nice, but I can feel okay with the deal I had already put out there.

Thanks for your advice none the less! Now I know what to do next time smiling smiley

rkj
Earendil
Thanks everyone for the comments!

I had already told one fellow that he could have the whole car for $300. Quite low, but it was before I posted here, and I never thought the guy would take it. But he has!

A couple things make this okay for me:

1. The car will be gone! The goal was to have it gone before winter... and before my landlord got upset grinning smiley
2. I bought the car from a friend for $50.
3. I've already made $100 on other parts sold.
4. I pulled the Bilstein Shocks and H&R sports, as well as an LSD, and put it on my car. I've snatched a number of other smallers things as well.
5. I just found out the guy buying it is using it to build up a PRO-3 car that he hopes to have racing by next spring.

So after all that, I'm okay will having what's left of the car vanish, and a couple Ben Franklins come raining down. A few MORE Benjamins would of course be nice, but I can feel okay with the deal I had already put out there.

Thanks for your advice none the less! Now I know what to do next time smiling smiley

Sounds like a good ending Tyler thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login