Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New E30, oil pan crack

September 13, 2010 12:46PM
Well I'm back in the E30 game, picked up an 87 325i convertible about two weeks ago.
I caved into the pressure and jumped on this deal, making this my fourth E30, somehow dubbed "Richard Nixon".

The problem I want to immediately address is the hole in my oil pan.

I was out on a rough road a few days ago and a nice sized rock punched right through it.
Luckily I had some friends nearby and they were able to take me to buy quicksteel and oil.

Took me about 4 tubes of quicksteel but the oil holds, for the most part. There's a slow drip I can't seem to eliminate but I am searching for a new oil pan.

The trouble with this is that there are no yards around here with parts E30s, and the cheapest I can find it online is $217 plus shipping.

Does anyone else have experience with this or know where to find it cheaper?
The network search doesn't turn up any results for me, maybe my browser is to blame.

-BAM
rkj
September 13, 2010 06:13PM
bam_loves_his_bmw_325
Well I'm back in the E30 game, picked up an 87 325i convertible about two weeks ago.
I caved into the pressure and jumped on this deal, making this my fourth E30, somehow dubbed "Richard Nixon".

The problem I want to immediately address is the hole in my oil pan.

I was out on a rough road a few days ago and a nice sized rock punched right through it.
Luckily I had some friends nearby and they were able to take me to buy quicksteel and oil.

Took me about 4 tubes of quicksteel but the oil holds, for the most part. There's a slow drip I can't seem to eliminate but I am searching for a new oil pan.

The trouble with this is that there are no yards around here with parts E30s, and the cheapest I can find it online is $217 plus shipping.

Does anyone else have experience with this or know where to find it cheaper?
The network search doesn't turn up any results for me, maybe my browser is to blame.

-BAM

Try ebay
September 13, 2010 07:21PM
Have you tried car-part.com? I see a couple there for $100.

September 14, 2010 03:30PM
Ebay was where I found it for $217.

Thanks Dave, that's a good site. It's a bit more work to get my hands on it but it's definitely cheaper.
This should be a fun project.

And by "fun", I mean "excruciatingly slow and painful."
September 14, 2010 06:02PM
Beer helps and can actually make it almost enjoyable...keep lots of band-aids handy grinning smiley
rkj
September 14, 2010 07:12PM
Archeo-peteriX
Beer helps and can actually make it almost enjoyable...keep lots of band-aids handy grinning smiley

We can help though. I've done it twice and probably remember some of the procedure. A floor jack and a few sockets help B)

Rick
September 14, 2010 07:39PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

We can help though. I've done it twice and probably remember some of the procedure. A floor jack and a few sockets help B)

Rick

Plus small hands and a very limber wrist; to deal with that pesky sump eye popping smiley
rkj
September 14, 2010 08:28PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Rick

Plus small hands and a very limber wrist; to deal with that pesky sump eye popping smiley

Oh that's right, the dreaded pick-up for the oil pump. I hope hes got health insurance.
September 17, 2010 09:16PM
At some point the oil might get too hot for the "quick steel" and melt it out. might want to do a test on some to see at what temperature it gives up.

Bob in Everett
September 21, 2010 11:41AM
Haha, thanks guys. Beer? I may need a handle of Smirnoff triple black for this job. Ordering the oil pan very soon, but for now.....

The quick steel doesn't seem like it melts but it still leaks. I took a tube of Ultra black and covered the bits I thought would leak the most.
It doesn't gush out but once the car cools down, it still drips. Probably a half quart a day, I just leave a bucket under the car when I'm in class.
Still pretty good for having a quarter sized hole under the patch.

Question though, how much oil does it actually take?
I looked it up and pelican says 4-7 quarts. Does anyone else feel like this is quite a range? I don't want to put too much in and blow a head gasket like my Audi, but I obviously don't want to run it dry.
It idles rough, and I assume this is because the pan doesn't fully pressurize, especially when I am not on the gas pedal. Am I correct in thinking this or is there a deeper problem?
September 22, 2010 09:19PM
The oil capacity is 4 liters.

Bob in Everett
rkj
September 22, 2010 09:46PM
bam_loves_his_bmw_325

It idles rough, and I assume this is because the pan doesn't fully pressurize, especially when I am not on the gas pedal. Am I correct in thinking this or is there a deeper problem?

You could be right, these motors don't like air leaks top or bottom smileys with beer
September 23, 2010 07:48AM
I remember years ago mine was running really badly. I took it to my mechanic who popped the hood and seated the dip stick, the engine smoothed right out!!!!

alan
October 14, 2010 07:48AM
Having cracked a couple in my E30 history, I found JB Weld to work the charm. I had it last a couple years with nary a drip for me a while back.

And yes, putting the pump back on is a real exercise in patience. The hardest part I found was keeping the shaft in place while doing the 3 bolts via braille.

For future reference, there is a guy in SoCal (Peerless on a couple other forums) who makes a pretty bomb proof skid plate to keep from having a repeat offense.

In terms of a rough idle and the like, how bad was the ding and did it perhaps goof the pickup? Odds are not huge on this, but food for thought.
December 30, 2010 12:02PM
If this is the quick steel you're talking about, it should hold up to 500°F, according to the product sheet in the link.

Quick steel info
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login