Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Water Pump Woes

Posted by Flyboy 
August 22, 2010 02:59AM
Hi All
Been a while since my last post, what can I say, these E30's just keep on ticking, but now I desperatly need advice from those in the know.

Yesterday on the freeway, my water pump unceremoniously announced it's retirement from service in a shower of water and ball bearings, and I just did the cam belt 10 000Km ago.............I know, I know, I don't want to hear it :rolleyes:
This morning I picked up a new one, jumped in to what I thought to be a quick one hour job.............yeah right, the problem is, I can't get the old one out.
Inserted two bolts into the lugs to push it out and the bolts broke off like butter, and yes all four bolts are out, I do not have access to a sliding hammer, or puller of any sort, this thing has to run or I ai'nt going to work tomorrow, any Ideas.........pleeeez?????
Problem is years of white corrosion I would imagine.
Oh, 318i M40 motor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
August 22, 2010 05:59AM
OK, sorted, I had an idea the pump was on dowels, turns out it is not, so a water pump pliers and some twisting did the job, took it for a ride and runs as cool as a cucumber, damn, I love my Beemer.
Another question, for a while now, the temp gauge is jumping around quite erraticaly no full scale deflection or any thing but jumping around about a quarter quage reading from where it sits, temp runs at between quarter and half.
Is this a sender unit on the way out, or the SI betteries? All the other gauges are rock steady and accurate, including the fuel consumption gauge.
This makes me suspect a sender, any idea which one it would be?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 22, 2010 07:53AM
I believe there is a nut on the back of the guage that grounds the unit. This nut has been known to work loose. Make sure it's tight.
August 22, 2010 09:00AM
Thanks Pete, as always, you are a mine of information, will climb into it next weekend.

August 22, 2010 03:49PM
Does that cooling system need to be bled like the six cylinder? An air bubble could cause that.

alan
August 22, 2010 09:24PM
Hi Al, yes it does need to be bled, and I have, it is up to spec, it has been doing it for some time, not just since the water pump replacement, I will give it another bleed to be sure, before I start pulling out gauge clusters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login