Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

brake pedal to the floor.

Posted by stirv 
July 04, 2010 12:54AM
crap. i noticed some serious brake fading a couple of days ago. today the pedal pretty much hit the floor on my way home home from a routine errand. less than two miles. front rotors and pads are almost NEW. rears have been squeaking for a long time when cold, even after the fronts were replaced but since the fronts do more than 80% of the braking, i know that the rear is not a problem.

master cylinder?? line breach? there is more fluid on the garage floor too but i haven't identified it and it seems to be in the front left hand area and i still need to check the reservoir.
what's this about the 7 series mc swap? i'd rather not change any specs but if it's a good swap, i can go find one at the bone yard if it's a direct swap until i can get a new OEM unit.
thank for any input.

steve
rkj
July 04, 2010 08:25AM
stirv
crap. i noticed some serious brake fading a couple of days ago. today the pedal pretty much hit the floor on my way home home from a routine errand. less than two miles. front rotors and pads are almost NEW. rears have been squeaking for a long time when cold, even after the fronts were replaced but since the fronts do more than 80% of the braking, i know that the rear is not a problem.

master cylinder?? line breach? there is more fluid on the garage floor too but i haven't identified it and it seems to be in the front left hand area and i still need to check the reservoir.
what's this about the 7 series mc swap? i'd rather not change any specs but if it's a good swap, i can go find one at the bone yard if it's a direct swap until i can get a new OEM unit.
thank for any input.

steve

Hey Steve, Check the master and see what the level is, you probably have a weeping line somewhere.

Rick
July 04, 2010 11:37AM
The brake circuit hold some oil, and when a brake line lets go, it will be spilled down the road fast, and you will end up with no brakes, just e-brake. The tubes near the wheels are the most common cause, check for leaks under the car rather than pools on the ground.

If that was the problem, no need to go upgrading much, replacement tubes are relatively cheap.
July 04, 2010 12:18PM
thanks guys !! HAPPY 4TH ! Will check and get back to you
July 06, 2010 02:53PM
I'd been witnessing fluid on garage floor front left...
put it up at the shop this a.m. and found the culprit. sure enuf, well -rubbed hose in front drivers well, fully breached. they quoted me $95 US. $30 for the line and $60 bleed and top-off. no!
i went and got new line at the same place they ordered from for $20, then to AutoZone for a $3.50 can of DOT4, came home and jacked it up and replaced it and had my gf pump to bleed and what do you know?
done deal. i've had some rubbing issues since installing Pro Kit and/or E36 rack and/or euroweaves and 205s with something knocking on full lock turning left and haven't sorted that out yet. better fix it before this one starts rubbing down. I had 5mm spacers on along with wheel studs all around but of course at some point some errant mechanic stole them or decided not to put them back on.
Anyhow, celebratory beer going down right now.
thankS
October 15, 2010 01:18AM
Sounds like time for SS lines. In addition, did you route the lines correctly? There is supposed to be a bracket on the strut housing to keep the lines from getting anywhere close to the wheels. If there is not, I'd at least zip tie it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login