Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

84-87 window motors

Posted by rkj 
rkj
May 26, 2010 10:30AM
So, comes the time I must finally fix Janet's passenger side window; I've got juice to the door plug so I think, from lack of use, the motor is just stuck. Has anyone had these older (cable actuated) type widows apart; can the motor come off the regulator in place if I lock the window in place (or do I need to). Or does the whole shootinmatch have to come out of the door, if so, any tips???

Also, has anyone taken an older style motor apart, do they even come apart?

Thanks, Rick

perseverance furthers
May 26, 2010 03:26PM
The motor-cable drive assembly comes out the bottom hole in the door. It takes a little wiggling, but it can be done. I think the motor can come off the channel mechanism. Try these guys for a new motor. You carefully pull the outer door top trim off (use a putty knife/big screw driver and cardboard to protect the paint and slowly wiggle the trim off. Just work from one end to the other). Once that is off, take the glass off the actuator and slide it out the top out of the way.

[www.bmrparts.com]

alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 03:28PM by alanrw.
May 26, 2010 05:41PM
rkj
So, comes the time I must finally fix Janet's passenger side window; I've got juice to the door plug so I think, from lack of use, the motor is just stuck. Has anyone had these older (cable actuated) type widows apart; can the motor come off the regulator in place if I lock the window in place (or do I need to). Or does the whole shootinmatch have to come out of the door, if so, any tips???

Also, has anyone taken an older style motor apart, do they even come apart?

Thanks, Rick

The later model motors are definitely fixable. Most of the time, all that is wrong is the grease in the bottom armature bushing has solidified. Clean that up, regrease it and it should work like new smileys with beer
rkj
May 30, 2010 10:05AM
alanrw
The motor-cable drive assembly comes out the bottom hole in the door. It takes a little wiggling, but it can be done. I think the motor can come off the channel mechanism. Try these guys for a new motor. You carefully pull the outer door top trim off (use a putty knife/big screw driver and cardboard to protect the paint and slowly wiggle the trim off. Just work from one end to the other). Once that is off, take the glass off the actuator and slide it out the top out of the way.

[www.bmrparts.com]

alan

Oh goody, sounds like a fun afternoon, I was hoping to sneak that motor out with everything in place but...

Thanks for the low-down Alan, I made a hardwood piece of wood to get those outer window top trim assemblies off for the 2002's and it might work for the 325's too.

I bought a few motors, one on ebay and one new one just in case all else fails. I can return the new one if I don't use it, and maybe Peters thoughts on freeing up the original will pan out on the older style motor.

Thanks, and Regards you two, Rick
May 30, 2010 06:38PM
Let us know how it goes. The other part is getting the black bezel off the inside door latch mechanism, It slides to the side (forgot if it is to the front or back-pretty sure it slides towards the front) but then it just pops off freeing the door panel from the inner latch mechanism.

alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 06:38PM by alanrw.
rkj
May 31, 2010 07:59PM
alanrw
Let us know how it goes. The other part is getting the black bezel off the inside door latch mechanism, It slides to the side (forgot if it is to the front or back-pretty sure it slides towards the front) but then it just pops off freeing the door panel from the inner latch mechanism.

alan

Thanks Alan, yes, that I've done that a few times. Let me think, slides to the front... no, slides to the rear, no no, to the front, must be. See, I told you I've done this before! Getting old is really starting to be a challenge confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login