Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

starting problems BMW30

Posted by sale30convert 
May 22, 2010 01:31PM
hi help needed i have a BMW e30 convert able 325i auto 1989.Having problem starting was OK then just st oped working will turn over . have replaced relay no joy .have bridged connection 30/87 on relay and can hear fuel pump working
any advice would be very much appreciated
May 22, 2010 05:21PM
sale30convert
hi help needed i have a BMW e30 convert able 325i auto 1989.Having problem starting was OK then just st oped working will turn over . have replaced relay no joy .have bridged connection 30/87 on relay and can hear fuel pump working
any advice would be very much appreciated

There are a couple of things you'll need to establish...
Do you have spark at the plugs? Are they wet?

If you have no spark, then there are a couple of potential areas to check. One is the main relay(opposite end from the fuel pump relay) and the other is the coil.
If the plugs are not getting wet; ie no fuel; then there could be issues with the fuel pressure regulator or the wiring harness that feeds the electrical signal to the injectors. There is a connector under the intake manifold near the diagnostics plug that can become filled with water and corrode until nothing works; check that too.

One more place to check is the engine to chassis ground strapping; it's found on the driver side by the engine mount.

Let us know what you find and we'll hopefully get you back up and running in short order B)
May 25, 2010 11:33AM
The other mystery item that can cause a no spark situation, and I always mention because it took me months to find, is the crank position sensor. This is attached in front of the oil filter housing, and points right at a visibly toothed metal disc. Make sure that sensor isn't all crudded up, and is within a half inch or so of the disc. You might also visibly check the wiring, though that appears to be a lot less of a problem. For me it was all gummed up with dirt, rock, oil for glue, and a distance slightly more than spec.

If that sensor isn't getting a reading for whatever reason, the ECU won't give the command to fire a spark, even though all electrical components will test okay.

However, I'd start with Archeo's advice first, as it is far more likely to be those things smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login