Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do I need a new front wheel bearing?

Posted by Dave_G 
April 17, 2010 02:40PM
This is question #1 of 2 that came up during today's project out in the garage.

I was replacing the rubber boots for the front CV joints in my iX today. After getting the halfshaft separated from the hub, I noticed that there was about a mm of play in the hub. Should I take this to mean that I need to replace the front wheel bearing? I haven't noticed any symptoms when the halfshaft is connected.

Video follows:
[www.youtube.com]

A 325iX guy on e30tech.com tells me that this play is normal, and will be tight again once I reattach the halfshaft. I'm curious, though, why it should be that way. I assume that RWD E30s are tight all the time, so why design these hubs with play in them?

Hmmm, I'm going to let the IX guys take this, I'll watch though- Rick
To use Rick's words: hmmm. I don't thinks this is normal. Yes, putting back the halfshaft could give the impression the play is gone, as you can't put enough load on it as during driving. I never had the halfshaft out of my iX and I don't want to let you make extra costs where none needed, so I'll wait for the iX guru's to see their verdict.
Well, I seem to have answered my own question. And as much I would prefer to think that I don't need a new wheel bearing, I think I'm looking at needing to replace it.

I pulled the axle out of the other side, and on that the side the hub has no play at all, as I would have expected. I'm going to say that they're probably both supposed to be that way, which means that the one that's clunking around should get a new wheel bearing.

Oh well. At least I can say I've learned a whole lot about the front suspension of the iX this weekend.

Dave_G
Well, I seem to have answered my own question. And as much I would prefer to think that I don't need a new wheel bearing, I think I'm looking at needing to replace it.

I pulled the axle out of the other side, and on that the side the hub has no play at all, as I would have expected. I'm going to say that they're probably both supposed to be that way, which means that the one that's clunking around should get a new wheel bearing.

Oh well. At least I can say I've learned a whole lot about the front suspension of the iX this weekend.

Dave, is the lose side on the right?
rkj
No, it's on the left. Should it make a difference? FWIW, in the iX the left side has a short, 1-piece axle, abd the right side has a long, 2-piece axle.

Dave_G
rkj
No, it's on the left. Should it make a difference? FWIW, in the iX the left side has a short, 1-piece axle, abd the right side has a long, 2-piece axle.

I don't exactly know why this is but the majority of cases of stuff gone wrong up front seems to fall on the right side confused smiley maybe it's just what I'm seeing in my shop lately.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login