Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gas Mileage

Posted by rkj 
rkj
December 07, 2008 02:29PM
I used to think 23-25+ was iffy mileage for an 325is stick but after reading alot of new car figures I don't feel so bad. With the Eta I got 30 once. What are you guys getting, and for what cars?

Cheers, Rick

perseverance furthers
December 07, 2008 03:08PM
26.5 in the city with my 84 325E. Much better, at least 30-32 on the freeway (if it is moving).

alan
rkj
December 07, 2008 03:51PM
alanrw
26.5 in the city with my 84 325E. Much better, at least 30-32 on the freeway (if it is moving).

alan

I saved one Eta for the future, 1986 325es stick, thats going to be my daily driver and the gold car is going inside for holidays
December 07, 2008 07:23PM
with my S52 e30 I am getting low 20's with 100% city driving with occasional full-throttle blasts. i havent had a long freeway trip in my empty car, but based on other experiences i think 30mpg is realistic for highway mileage.
December 07, 2008 08:30PM
Woohoo! Our first actual E30-related post on the new site! smiling bouncing smiley I feel like we're really here now.

In my iX, my long-term 2-year average is 23 MPG. This is mostly rural driving on two-lane highways, and in-town driving in a small town, but little city driving. I think the best I have gotten on a long trip has been around 25 MPG.

December 07, 2008 09:27PM
Dave_G
Woohoo! Our first actual E30-related post on the new site! smiling bouncing smiley I feel like we're really here now.

In my iX, my long-term 2-year average is 23 MPG. This is mostly rural driving on two-lane highways, and in-town driving in a small town, but little city driving. I think the best I have gotten on a long trip has been around 25 MPG.

that sounds alright for an iX. my best gas mileage ever was in my 325e when i had to take it easy due to a patched coolant hose going through colorado. I drove from Monticello, UT to Pueblo, CO on one tank. It worked out to 373 miles and over 35 MPG. Again I was babying it, but i had a ton of stuff in my car along with another human, so i think that mileage is pretty impressive. i wonder if i can embed a google map?

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="[maps.google.com] /><small><a href="[maps.google.com]; style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

rkj
December 08, 2008 07:31AM
Dave_G

I know, I thought we should start with something! Gas mileage was all that came to mind especially now that it is cold and have to use the car.... Thanks Dave, this place is looking better every day, where do I send $

Rick
rkj
December 08, 2008 07:39AM
that sounds alright for an iX. my best gas mileage ever was in my 325e when i had to take it easy due to a patched coolant hose going through colorado. I drove from Monticello, UT to Pueblo, CO on one tank. It worked out to 373 miles and over 35 MPG. Again I was babying it, but i had a ton of stuff in my car along with another human, so i think that mileage is pretty impressive. i wonder if i can embed a google map?

Coming home from Pennsylvania one time I got 35 with the Eta, must of had a tail wind but it still was an eye opener. I find the slower you go, to a point, the better your mileage will be. Of course with my new car the happy pedal sees more use!

My 650 motorcycle gets 60+ and is such fun to keep figures on smiling bouncing smiley
December 08, 2008 08:11AM
Dave_G

My iX gets about the save;22 to 23mpg with mostly city driving and the occasional bit of freeway. One a couple of longer trips with mostly hiway driving it easily gets 28mpg.

As was mentioned newer cars are not getting incredibly better fuel economy. Even with the best mechanical and electronic controls, there is only so much energy that can be extracted from the internal combustion engine. While the engine efficiency as a little better than it was 20 years ago, the cars have also become like the general North American public; obese. That mitigates any real gains that could have been made :crying:
December 08, 2008 08:38AM
In my 2006 Mazda3 hatchback, I typically get about 27.7, give or take, on a tank. My overall average for the first two years of driving the car (haven't updated my spreadsheet since August) is 27.742 (34076 miles on 1228.312 gallons). My single best tank was 30.272, worst single tank was 24.835. The savings of the better mileage combined with using 87 octane vs. 93 I used in my chipped E30 added up to 5.6 months worth of car payments "free" in the first two years, compared to if I had driven the same mileage in my E30, with which I averaged about 22.2 mpg when I was daily driving it.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
December 08, 2008 12:48PM
Cab Treadway
In my 2006 Mazda3 hatchback, I typically get about 27.7, give or take, on a tank. My overall average for the first two years of driving the car (haven't updated my spreadsheet since August) is 27.742 (34076 miles on 1228.312 gallons). My single best tank was 30.272, worst single tank was 24.835. The savings of the better mileage combined with using 87 octane vs. 93 I used in my chipped E30 added up to 5.6 months worth of car payments "free" in the first two years, compared to if I had driven the same mileage in my E30, with which I averaged about 22.2 mpg when I was daily driving it.

It doesn't take much to make a sizable difference over the long run. How is the electrical car school thing going? There seems to be a few new entries this coming year for the EV's, even a hydrogen 7series due out soon thumbs up Now we're talking big differences!

perseverance furthers
December 08, 2008 01:14PM
rkj
How is the electrical car school thing going? There seems to be a few new entries this coming year for the EV's, even a hydrogen 7series due out soon thumbs up Now we're talking big differences!

Well, it's not electric car school, it was just one class that I took in pursuit of my masters degree. Honestly, the class wasn't all that interesting, I don't think I really learned anything that I didn't already know just from reading various car magazines over the years. The professor didn't seem to be all that up on the latest and greatest things out there. We could have had a lot of interesting discussion about the Chevy Volt or some of these new cars like you mention, but it was more focused on some older stuff, unfortunately.

I'm not sorry I took the class or anything, I guess it wasn't that bad, and certainly the credits I earned are nice, but I think it could have been a lot better. Oh well.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
December 09, 2008 12:36AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[www.youtube.com] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="[www.youtube.com]; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

rkj
December 10, 2008 03:25PM
That's funny, and there is truth there too, but its too bad we don't get the really good four cylinder cars here though. A few come to mind :mad:
rkj
December 10, 2008 03:28PM
I just noticed, I'm picking up speed, huh, I knew it felt like I was having more fun! Now if I only knew that beach boys tune- first gear, its alright, second gear, its ..... smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley
December 10, 2008 05:56PM
rkj
I just noticed, I'm picking up speed, huh, I knew it felt like I was having more fun! Now if I only knew that beach boys tune- first gear, its alright, second gear, its ..... smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley

Try not to forget that little 'quote' button smiling bouncing smiley
December 12, 2008 10:04PM
Some newer cars do get more out of the fuel than one might expect. I can actually get better mileage from my wifes 2001 740 IL than my E30 cabrio. It weighs about 4300 pounds. Crusing at 75 with AC it gets almost 25 mpg. My E30 only got 24 without the AC on the same route and speed.

Bob in Everett
February 21, 2009 03:16PM
After a little run in on the interwebs with good ol' Daniel, and much to Archeo's chagrin I'm sure, I have found this place yet again :-)

On two separate trips from Maple Valley to Spokane WA, about 287 mi (462km) I have managed exactly 24.5 mpg in my 1989 325i.
This is archived going over Snoqualmie pass, doing at least 75mph for 280 miles.

There, that is my first post on the new forums :-)

Cheers,
~Tyler Z
February 21, 2009 05:44PM
Yo Tyler...much to your surprise; I'm elated that you found us againthumbs up

You are an E30 enthusiast and no matter what some old farts may have to say...you are more than wlcome to be a part of this small part of the Universe!

I am especially honoured that you remember me...for whatever reason winking smiley

Welcome back and I hope we can renew our acquaintance smileys with beer
February 22, 2009 01:28AM
Earendil
After a little run in on the interwebs with good ol' Daniel, and much to Archeo's chagrin I'm sure, I have found this place yet again :-)

On two separate trips from Maple Valley to Spokane WA, about 287 mi (462km) I have managed exactly 24.5 mpg in my 1989 325i.
This is archived going over Snoqualmie pass, doing at least 75mph for 280 miles.

There, that is my first post on the new forums :-)

Cheers,
~Tyler Z

yay he's back.

the last speeding ticket i got was driving over snoqualmie pass :mad: i was doing 72 in the 60 zone, going down the pass westward. there was a line of WHP cars waiting to pull people over. since then i have been a saint, though :insert angel emoticon here:

February 22, 2009 11:30AM
daniel
the last speeding ticket i got was driving over snoqualmie pass :mad: i was doing 72 in the 60 zone, going down the pass westward. there was a line of WHP cars waiting to pull people over. since then i have been a saint, though :insert angel emoticon here:

My Rule of Thumb: If you're going to speed going over a pass, do it going up hill :-)
[/off topic conversation]

I'm actually quite surprised at how good* the mpg is on some of our cars. I believe mine is supposed to be rated at 23mpg, and I'm getting 24.5?
Does anyone know if BMW underrated these cars out of the factory? Or perhaps I have a clogged injector making me more "efficient" winking smiley

*edit: by "good", I mean compared to factory, not compared to today's standards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 12:33PM by Earendil.
February 22, 2009 12:30PM
rkj
I used to think 23-25+ was iffy mileage for an 325is stick but after reading alot of new car figures I don't feel so bad. With the Eta I got 30 once. What are you guys getting, and for what cars?

Cheers, Rick

The iX gets around 22 to 23 to the Canadian gallon which is about 19 to 20 to the US gallon.
Compared to my 1990 Civic which still gets over 40mpg(33 US) combined city/hwy; it's not so efficient sad smiley
February 24, 2009 06:05AM
[www.environment.gov.au]

I think its interesting page, let look at
Chan.
March 01, 2009 08:54PM
Earendil
daniel

My Rule of Thumb: If you're going to speed going over a pass, do it going up hill :-)
[/off topic conversation]

I'm actually quite surprised at how good* the mpg is on some of our cars. I believe mine is supposed to be rated at 23mpg, and I'm getting 24.5?
Does anyone know if BMW underrated these cars out of the factory? Or perhaps I have a clogged injector making me more "efficient" winking smiley

*edit: by "good", I mean compared to factory, not compared to today's standards.

A clogged injector will lower mileage...My mileage increase remarkably after I had my injectors cleaned. I put oversize injectors in for a while but the engine controls corrected for them and my mileage was about the same. The computer however thougth the mileage was higher and gave a higher number but the gas pump gave me the same numbers I always got.

Bob in Everett

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2009 08:58PM by Bob in Everett.
March 01, 2009 09:50PM
Bob in Everett
A clogged injector will lower mileage...My mileage increase remarkably after I had my injectors cleaned.

A malfunctioning injector, or one that doesn't let the correct amount of fuel through I would think would do just that. However, wouldn't a completely clogged/blocked injector actually decrease power, proportional to the amount of fuel not being burned? One would need to account for the friction that 6th cylinder was producing, but certainly no gas is being wasted, and all gas that is leaving the tank is being burned as efficiently as if it were not, right?
Meh, what do I know.

How about I rephrase? Maybe an injector is completely blocked, you know, the injector leading to my non-functioning spark plug.
;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login