Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

marten repeller

Posted by jaffar 
March 04, 2010 05:16AM
Hi

I left my car hibernate for the winter, for 2 months. Today I decided to move it around a bit, so I popped the hood to check the fluid levels. To my surprise, a big BONE was lying on my engine. I looked around and I found that the hood insulation has been eaten away and it became a nest for some animal that also likes to shit in its nest.

It seems that it has moved to another home, as nothing was still moving there (I did not have time to remove the hood insulation yet), but I realised I just understood what the factory option "marten repeller" means.

Now, what strong chemical can I spray EVERYWHERE to make sure this never happens again ? Or what kind of electronic device do I need ? Is it ultrasonic based, or some other modern crap ? Does it also affect other living creatures, like the stupid dogs that my neighbours like to let piss on all parked cars ? Does it affect people, in case I decide to forget to turn it off sometime ?

Thanks

P.S. Other than the fact that the brakes were completely welded to he calipers, so it toom some time and a big BANG to move the car, it runs fine so far, I hope it didn't like the taste of cables/hoses.

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
March 04, 2010 07:24AM
jaffar
Now, what strong chemical can I spray EVERYWHERE to make sure this never happens again ?
The most effective repellent is probably moth balls. Nothing likes the smell of moth balls, including people. Lots of people who store their cars over the winter use them to repel mice and squirrels (the usual problem varmints), but I'm sure it would work on martens or anything else too.

As a better-smelling alternative, other people use fabric softener sheets (sold as "Bounce" in the U.S., I have no idea what a comparable product would be in Romania). These are white squares of perfumed fabric that are supposed to go in a clothes dryer to soften your clothes and make them smell nice. But the perfume is strong enough that it repels animals too. I've used these for the past 5 winters in my track car that I store every winter in a garage that has lots of squirrels and some mice, but none of them has ever chosen to invade my car (knock on wood!).

March 07, 2010 05:09AM
At first I thought you were kidding about the factory option marten repeller. Then I checked the link. Never heard of it but it seems like a nice option in troubled areas.
How about keeping marten predators in your garage?
March 08, 2010 01:41AM
i keep my car on the street - quite a big garage smiling smiley
besides, my cat will be scared shitless if he saw a rat... he's afraid of BUGS eye popping smiley

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login