Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what is the part that returns turn signal stalk?

Posted by stirv 
it goes in the steering column somewhere underneath or something like that.
anyone have a pic of it?? for next time i hit the boneyard.
i am tired of returning the damn thing by hand.
Well, there's this;

[www.realoem.com]

The only question is do you have the onboard computer on your car as the turn signal switch is tied into that system. When you depress the stalk towards the column, it cycles the OBC thru the various functions.

alan
thnaks
yes it's the OBC version. i like the push feature, but isn't there some small part that actuates the return (like possibly the little unit that sits on top with four wires) or do i need the whole stalk? yikes.
yes, you need the whole stalk - the bit that brings it back intro position is small, plastic and breaks often.
do you have the original steering wheel ? because it contains the "thingie" that pushes the signal stalk bit. some aftermarket wheels don't have it.

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
i've highlighted the bit on the stalk in the attached photo.
for the steering wheel, you can see the part that pushes in this photo: [farm4.static.flickr.com]
from the code it looks like you can also buy it separately: [www.realoem.com]

--
Attachments:
open | download - 6cfa_3.jpg (166.6 KB)
yes. i have my original three spoke non airbag steering wheel. love this wheel , more than the Mtech II wheels/
so i guess i just need the stalk. boneyard. i'm not paying $170 for this partthumbs down
thanks Jaffar. good luck with the physics!
haha I broke mine when installing my mtech 1 one thing I really like about it being gone is the 'click click' when you turn the wheel is gone. the wheel rotation in the hands is much more gratifying if you ask me for the minor inconvenience.

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
you mean your plastic tab broke?

this is a very weak link in older cars. my 68 '02 ate up turn signals all the time. hated it.

i still get the click click when the wheel returns to straight ahead sometimes. maybe mine isn't really broken all the way off...confused smiley
Did you fix your rack boot??
i did the Zionsville E36 rack in my 87ic, btw. let me know is you have any questions.
jaffar
for the steering wheel, you can see the part that pushes in this photo
Ahhh...I'd assumed that tab was for the steering lock. You learn something new every day!

Sorry for the off-topic...carry on...
Yes, Steering rack
nomis3613
jaffar
for the steering wheel, you can see the part that pushes in this photo
Ahhh...I'd assumed that tab was for the steering lock. You learn something new every day!

Sorry for the off-topic...carry on...

the teeth around the outer margin are for locking the wheel. on newer models, the wheel also has an edge, so you can't remove it unless you put the key in.

--
Attachments:
open | download - 3662531500_6b0933c783.jpg (112.1 KB)
I assume you need to take off the steering wheel to get at this stalk.. or just remove the column surrounds? i found a couple of OBC version turn stalks at the bonyeard today but i didn't have the socket for the wheel so i couldn't get in there. i removed all the screws (or so I thought) and then tried breaking apart the column surrounds but that plastic is hard as hell. what size nut is on the wheel????
stirv
i removed all the screws (or so I thought) and then tried breaking apart the column surrounds but that plastic is hard as hell. what size nut is on the wheel????
Yeah, taking off the plastic cover is WAY more challenging than it looks. In fact, IME it's nearly impossible to get the top half off. I'm not sure it's actually necessary, though. I'm also not sure what you need to take off to get at what you need to. IIRC the steering wheel nut is 22mm. It's a good idea to mark the position of the steering wheel before you pull it off so that you get it back on the same teeth.

If you happen to have a later year E30 with an airbag, be sure you disconnect the battery first, and do not reconnect the airbag with the airbag out. If you do, the SRS light will come on, and you will never get it off again without a very expensive trip to the dealer. Ask me how I know this. sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login