Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Battery powered key

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
December 15, 2008 09:39PM
On this cold morning it took about 10 minutes to get into my car. The locks were frozen from the wet snow that fell yesterday and got into everything before the temperture went to below 20 F last night. Would it be so nice to have a key that would get hot enough to thaw the frozen lock cylinder? Better than warming it in my hands repeatedly.

Bob in Everett
December 15, 2008 09:41PM
Bob in Everett
On this cold morning it took about 10 minutes to get into my car. The locks were frozen from the wet snow that fell yesterday and got into everything before the temperture went to below 20 F last night. Would it be so nice to have a key that would get hot enough to thaw the frozen lock cylinder? Better than warming it in my hands repeatedly.

Bob in Everett

My iX has the heated door lock...simply lift the handle for 30 seconds and the key slides right in smiling smiley Check yours out...
December 15, 2008 09:56PM
Yeah, I was going to say. If you don't have them, you could install them. Probably a lot more work and $$ than it is worth. I did find out the other day though that lock-thaw works really well and really fast! I couldn't get into my Defender because it was so frozen, a quick shot of that and the lock started to work with even more ease than ever (I guess it has some lubrication properties as well as thawing).
December 16, 2008 04:14AM
Archeo-peteriX
My iX has the heated door lock...simply lift the handle for 30 seconds and the key slides right in smiling smiley Check yours out...
Really?? Do they all have that or was that an option? I should go out and check mine.

I replaced the lock cylinder last year and didn't notice anything heater-like around it. What would it look like if it was there?

December 16, 2008 07:41AM
Dave_G
Archeo-peteriX
Really?? Do they all have that or was that an option? I should go out and check mine.

I replaced the lock cylinder last year and didn't notice anything heater-like around it. What would it look like if it was there?

It was part of a premium package. Along with heated door lock came heated side mirrors, heated windshield spray nozzles and heated seats. This may have been standard on the iX but was mostly optional on other models.
The heater is a thin ring that mouted with the lock cylinder...you would have noticed it as it had a wire attached to it smiling smiley
December 16, 2008 07:55AM
Archeo-peteriX
It was part of a premium package. Along with heated door lock came heated side mirrors, heated windshield spray nozzles and heated seats. This may have been standard on the iX but was mostly optional on other models.
The heater is a thin ring that mouted with the lock cylinder...you would have noticed it as it had a wire attached to it smiling smiley
Ah. Thanks. My iX doesn't have it then. I've got the heated seats (or did untiI replaced them), but not side mirrors, spray nozzles, or locks.

December 16, 2008 08:22AM
My iX had the heated mirrors, no heated seats. I'm not sure about the lock and the windscreen washer nozzles, I guess not.
December 16, 2008 09:04AM
Michiel 318iS
My iX had the heated mirrors, no heated seats. I'm not sure about the lock and the windscreen washer nozzles, I guess not.

Perhaps the options packages differed from region to region.
December 16, 2008 09:20PM
The heated door lock option would be the cure for the drivers door. I don't think there is an option for it on the trunk. Probably a better idea than a hot key. Although by warming it key a couple of times with my hands it eventually did get the door lock to workl. The antenna won't go up either so the radio is not getting a signal. The alcohol spray stuff or a hair dryer in the trunk to thaw it I suppose.

Winter sure is an adventure. More snow tonight.

Bob in Everett
December 16, 2008 10:16PM
Bob in Everett
The heated door lock option would be the cure for the drivers door. I don't think there is an option for it on the trunk. Probably a better idea than a hot key. Although by warming it key a couple of times with my hands it eventually did get the door lock to workl. The antenna won't go up either so the radio is not getting a signal. The alcohol spray stuff or a hair dryer in the trunk to thaw it I suppose.

Bob in Everett

I hope this isn't what our Pacific Northwet winters are going to be like down the road. We've had it pretty mild for nearly 18 years now. Many winters with zero snow and there was a period around 98 to 01 where we didn't even get frost.

More snow later tonight and tomorrow...I have to drive 52km to my dentist tomorrow and it's on the busiest thrufares in the city. The iX won't have any difficulties but the roads will likely be plugged with cars equipped with no season tires, FWD and absolutely clueless 'new' drivers :X
December 17, 2008 05:56AM
Archeo-peteriX
The iX won't have any difficulties but the roads will likely be plugged with cars equipped with no season tires, FWD and absolutely clueless 'new' drivers :X

Snow here this morning. Because of all the power outage stuff, I haven't had a chance to put the snow tires on yet. The commute in my FWD Mazda with no-season tires was absolutely horrible. Any gas pedal action at all, and the car would just start going sideways. Not fun.

But, just listen to the average driver in this country, snow tires are pointless if you have "all" season tires, and especially if you have safe FWD! Ugh.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
December 17, 2008 06:56AM
Bob in Everett

Bob in Everett

The keyless entry system I installed was a wonderful addition, and the manual antenna was too.
December 17, 2008 08:08PM
I agree that the winters seem to be worse the past couple of years. Seems like the age of global warming is over. The sunspot cycle must be in the "low energy" mode or what ever it is that they do. The warmest year on record in recent years was 1998.

Bob in Everett
December 17, 2008 10:29PM
Bob in Everett
I agree that the winters seem to be worse the past couple of years. Seems like the age of global warming is over. The sunspot cycle must be in the "low energy" mode or what ever it is that they do. The warmest year on record in recent years was 1998.

Bob in Everett

So does this mean the 'global warming' thing is bogus? smiling bouncing smiley
rkj
December 18, 2008 04:04AM
Archeo-peteriX
Bob in Everett

Bob in Everett

I think you know better, Peter. I'd give anything if it was!

This year might be a snowy one though, even we islanders are supposed to get some snow here this week (and next).... maybe it will snow for christmas....that would be soooo cool hot smiley

Have fun out there, be safe smiling smiley now where are my winter wheels!
December 18, 2008 02:06PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Bob in Everett

Bob in Everett

I think you know better, Peter. I'd give anything if it was!

Yes, it pretty much is. The earth's temperature cycles up and down, has throughout history, and will until the Sun blows up. Doesn't mean man doesn't contribute to making the air dirty, but the "the sky is falling" global warming crowd give humans way too much credit. Of course we need to be responsible and clean and kind to Mother Earth, but nature changes and goes through cycles.

As Bob points out, global temperatures have been in a period of decline for a while. They'll cool, they'll warm, and life will go on.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
December 18, 2008 02:51PM
Wasn't there a point in time when North America was covered by hundreds of feet of ice and then thru some mechanism,.......oh yeah, the environment warmed up, the ice melted and the plains of America, come to think of it, all of America as well as Canada emerged from the perma frost?

eye rolling smiley

alan
December 18, 2008 03:29PM
alanrw
Wasn't there a point in time when North America was covered by hundreds of feet of ice and then thru some mechanism,.......oh yeah, the environment warmed up, the ice melted and the plains of America, come to think of it, all of America as well as Canada emerged from the perma frost?

eye rolling smiley

alan

Oh there you go, confusing the myth with facts grinning smiley

Tree huggers will blame that on dino flatulence hot smiley
rkj
December 18, 2008 03:47PM
Archeo-peteriX
alanrw

eye rolling smiley

alan

I can't talk to you guys on this, sorry tongue sticking out smiley
December 18, 2008 05:55PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
alanrw

eye rolling smiley

alan

I can't talk to you guys on this, sorry tongue sticking out smiley

It's ok Rick, I know where you stand and respect that position.

For myself; there is no doubt the climate is changing and that we need to be nicer to mother nature...the sooner the better. But I also agree with Michael Crichton; that sky is not falling and rushing out to spend trillions of dollars on a problems we don't understand is irresponsible.

Here is another voice of reason that you might find interesting to listen to...
[www.youtube.com]
December 18, 2008 10:11PM
If I offended anyone by my puckish comment, that was not my intent. No doubt, mankind's presence has affected the environment for the negative but sometimes I wonder if the case is being stated in more urgent terms than necessary? Global temperatures would seem to be dynamic as opposed to static. Some years it rains like crazy and other years, well, we have been in a drought here in Southern California for the last few years and then we got clobbered by the same system that robbed Peter's dentist of a golden opportunity.

If I stepped on anyone's toes or views, my sincerest apologies.

alan
December 19, 2008 09:56PM
Wow, this topic sure got off in a new direction. I hardly ever go to the comunity forum but this one probably belongs there. I still have not been able to get my antenna up and now my car is covered with ice since I have not driven it in a couple of days. Have to dig it out tomorrow though and get my El Camino out of the garage to get the Christmas tree. Sure glad I have a hard top in it for the winter.

Someone a few months ago was looking for a hard top. There is one for sale on the Puget Sound CCA BMW website.

Bob in Everett
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login