Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E10 Ethanol Fuels

Posted by Ernest 
February 01, 2010 03:16AM
Hello everyone!

From what I know, the E30 wasn't exactly made to take fuel mixed with ethanol. Right now a law was passed in our country requiring all fuels to be 10% ethanol. I'm looking to replace whatever components I should be replacing to allow my car to use the fuel. From what I know, fuel lines need to be replaced with lines of a different compound. What else should I be looking at?

Thanks!
February 01, 2010 04:51PM
We have E10 here in Oregon and I have had zero problems.

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 04:52PM by ducatipaso.
February 01, 2010 06:21PM
Ernest
Hello everyone!

From what I know, the E30 wasn't exactly made to take fuel mixed with ethanol. Right now a law was passed in our country requiring all fuels to be 10% ethanol. I'm looking to replace whatever components I should be replacing to allow my car to use the fuel. From what I know, fuel lines need to be replaced with lines of a different compound. What else should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Ernest,
You shouldn't need to change a single thing. E10 is just fine in your/out E30s.
Unless you plan on running very high percentages of ethanol, you don't need any alterations smiling smiley
February 02, 2010 10:01PM
The only problem I have had is occasionally there will be some water in it and some gas line antifreeze or injector cleaner needed to clear it out. The gas station people said that the water is a common problem with the alcohol content.

Bob in Everett
February 03, 2010 08:13AM
Thank you for your replies! I am not sure what the percentages are in our country. Water in the fuel is definitely a concern. At least now I have a bit more confidence that I wouldn't have much problems with ethanol.

Cheers!
February 03, 2010 03:54PM
Bob in Everett
The only problem I have had is occasionally there will be some water in it and some gas line antifreeze or injector cleaner needed to clear it out. The gas station people said that the water is a common problem with the alcohol content.

Bob in Everett

Not sure what you mean by that. Ethanol in gasoline actually will mitigate any trace water that might be in the gasoline and cause freeze up - ethanol is hygroscopic and absorbs the water. In fact that is what gas line antifreeze is. Well actually it is methanol, but anhydrous ethanol would serve the same purpose, it is just more expensive.
So a tip. If you don't want to pay 1.50 $ per 125 ml of n gasline antifreeze, just buy 4 litres (maybe 12.00 $) of pure methanol and use that in 125 ml shots per tankfull.

Salut, Bob P.
February 07, 2010 08:19PM
Yes, I understand the chemistry of the water and alcohol but in the fuel from the gas pump there must be some more to it. The station manager told me it was common with the alcohol to have some water accumulation problems. A dose of gas line antifreeze (methanol) seems to cure it. Must be a difference in solubility with temperature or something. Has happened to me a few times. Usually a few miles after I fill up. Last time it was three days and maybe 30 miles later.

Bob in Everett
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login