Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Steering R-R-R sound - Pls advise ASAP

Posted by Kelly 
January 31, 2010 07:55PM
Hi All,

Little Beemie has started making an er-er-er sound when turning the steeling wheel and as the car is moving slowly - such as when I parallel park. I do try not to turn the steering wheel when the car is stopped. The sound almost reminds me of rubber and metal rubbing together. I first noticed the noise on Thurs night. Today it became a little worse.

The old mechs replaced the control arms about 2 yrs ago. I assume those are ok. What could be making the noise? Steering Rack? Tie rods?

Is it dangerous for Beemie or me? If so, I can have it towed. (I'd rather not pay for a tow. Although a tow will be a heck of a lot better than any collateral damage.)

I assume that it should visit the new mech ASAP.

Thoughts?????

:-) Kelly
Is the power steering reservoir full? Might be the pump ingesting air.

Bob in Everett
Bob in Everett
Is the power steering reservoir full? Might be the pump ingesting air.

Bob in Everett

Is the power steering reservoir a semi-spherical tank with a screw-on top which says Automatic Transmission Fluid and located near the air-intake housing? (note: I have a manual transmission.)

Thanks, Kelly
Yes, that's the reservoir. Make sure it is filled to the indicated level.

If the level is good, it could be the pump.
It could also be a slipping PS belt. Have the mechanic check that out too.
February 01, 2010 08:43AM
It could also be the strut bearing.

There is a bearing at the upper end of the front suspension struts. The whole strut turns whenever you turn the steering, but the top end of the strut is bolted solidly to the inner fender. Between those there is a strut bearing. It can sometimes make a noise like you described.

Try turning the steering without the engine running. If the engine is not running and you still hear the same noise, then you'll know it has nothing to do with the power steering pump or slipping belts.
rkj
February 01, 2010 01:38PM
Ferdinand
It could also be the strut bearing.

There is a bearing at the upper end of the front suspension struts. The whole strut turns whenever you turn the steering, but the top end of the strut is bolted solidly to the inner fender. Between those there is a strut bearing. It can sometimes make a noise like you described.

Try turning the steering without the engine running. If the engine is not running and you still hear the same noise, then you'll know it has nothing to do with the power steering pump or slipping belts.

It can also be a strainer in the PS pump, right Ferdinand? Check the level though like Peter sez.
February 01, 2010 03:45PM
Archeo-peteriX

Hi All,

I checked the fluid level which seemed fine. Then I drove over to the mechs. They tell me that something inside the pump has shattered. SO Beemie will have new pump, belt, and fluids installed. They will also check the steering rack. Should I have them check anything else too? Like the strut bearings which Ferd mentioned?

Beemie will remain in the shop overnight.

If the pump is damaged, one would think that I would have to apply more force to the steering wheel. But the pressure I used yesterday seems the same as usual.

Pls let me know about the quesitons above.

Thanks a ton as always, Kelly
rkj
February 01, 2010 05:39PM
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX

Hi All,

I checked the fluid level which seemed fine. Then I drove over to the mechs. They tell me that something inside the pump has shattered. SO Beemie will have new pump, belt, and fluids installed. They will also check the steering rack. Should I have them check anything else too? Like the strut bearings which Ferd mentioned?

Beemie will remain in the shop overnight.

If the pump is damaged, one would think that I would have to apply more force to the steering wheel. But the pressure I used yesterday seems the same as usual.

Pls let me know about the quesitons above.

Thanks a ton as always, Kelly

You're getting the noise when you are actually turning the wheel, right Kelly?

Is it a whirring constant noise or a random or steady noise when you're standing still...

Rick
February 02, 2010 12:33PM
rkj

You're getting the noise when you are actually turning the wheel, right Kelly?

Is it a whirring constant noise or a random or steady noise when you're standing still...

Rick

Hi Rick,

Yes, the noise occurs when turning at low speed. When still, the noise does not occur.

Cheers, Kelly
February 02, 2010 02:32PM
Kelly
the noise occurs when turning at low speed. When still, the noise does not occur.
My car sometimes makes a creaking noise when I turn the steering. I'm pretty sure it's the top bearing on my front left suspension strut making the noise on my car.

You can hear it creaking in this video clip from last Sunday's snowcross event, Sixth run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkcXwz8dnzM.

At the start of the video we're lined up waiting behind a blue Subaru. Just after the green flag is waved to send the Subaru on its way and just as I start rolling forward to take my place on the line, at 0:44 secs into the clip, you can clearly hear the creaking noise as I turn the steering slightly.

Is that the sort of noise you're hearing on your car? Or is it something totally different?
February 13, 2010 09:51PM
Ferdinand
Kelly
the noise occurs when turning at low speed. When still, the noise does not occur.
My car sometimes makes a creaking noise when I turn the steering. I'm pretty sure it's the top bearing on my front left suspension strut making the noise on my car.

You can hear it creaking in this video clip from last Sunday's snowcross event, Sixth run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkcXwz8dnzM.

At the start of the video we're lined up waiting behind a blue Subaru. Just after the green flag is waved to send the Subaru on its way and just as I start rolling forward to take my place on the line, at 0:44 secs into the clip, you can clearly hear the creaking noise as I turn the steering slightly.

Is that the sort of noise you're hearing on your car? Or is it something totally different?

Hi Ferd and All,

YES, That is the sound! at (0:44sec) I think there were actually 2 sounds combining to make my R-R-R noise.

Beemie visited the mechs and now has a new power steering pump, belt, and alternator belt. The repair removed the very bad sound when turning at low speeds. The mechs said that something inside the pump had broken, and it sounded like "an old Ford." At night, I must parallel park my car long the street. Although I try to avoid turning the steering wheel when the car is stationary, at times I must turn the wheel when stopped.

I picked up the car from the mechs and drove part way home. I then noticed the lower pitched rubber-on-metal R-R-R which now was more obvious. I drove back to the mechs. They put Beemie on the lift again, and 3 mechs with flash lights inspected the underside. Then, one mech and I drove around the block a few times to create the sound. He thinks it is the accordion rubber CV boots rubbing which he told me was fine - as in not dangerous for me or the car.

As you suggest, perhaps it is the top suspension bearings as well. Should I have the mechs check these too?

Thanks for posting the video and helping me,

Kelly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login