Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where do you guys work on your car?

Posted by Earendil 
January 03, 2010 02:30PM
For those of us that prefer places other than the side of the freeway (read: preventative care), where do you work on your babies?

I ask because I am looking for suggestions as life moves me and changes my circumstances.

For the last long number of years I lived at, or had available to me, my parents country house. What it lacked in a garage, it made up for in a large graveled area that (environmentalists skip this part) didn't get bothered by a little spilled oil/grease/dirt. No one cared if the car was on blocks for days, or that a drive shaft was laying around.

Now with a job, I am looking for my own place, and I feel as if my repair life style may have to change.

I am currently looking for an old run down country house of my own, preferably with a garage. This would be ideal for Bev, but perhaps unattainable.

All that said, I suppose my question is, do any of you rent/have wives/have circumstances that don't allow you to work on your cars at the home? What do you do if so?
Make friends with a guy/gal who does? Get buddy-buddy with a mechanic that doesn't mind you using his shop on weekends?

What would you do if life forced you into a duplex that didn't even allow you to change your own oil in the parking lot?

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
rkj
January 03, 2010 06:36PM
Get creative, and keep looking. Like even putting postings in supermarkets. You'll hit on something if you just keep trying... Rick
January 03, 2010 07:02PM
make friends =)
consider renting small 1-car shop space, even if you have to go to the ghetto
drive there, drive in, close door, work on car, be happy

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
January 03, 2010 07:09PM
rkj
Get creative, and keep looking. Like even putting postings in supermarkets. You'll hit on something if you just keep trying... Rick

Keep trying? For a house in a country setting? I take it if you are encouraging such a move, that that is what you have?
I'm certainly looking for such a place, as they are also more open to pets, compared to nicer/newer places.

Still, I'm curious if any of us have come up with creative solutions smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2010 07:09PM by Earendil.
January 03, 2010 07:18PM
ducatipaso
make friends =)
consider renting small 1-car shop space, even if you have to go to the ghetto
drive there, drive in, close door, work on car, be happy

Are places like this advertised as such? Or are they usually storage unit type spaces that don't mind you using it as a shop?

And I didn't realize we had another Portland area member around here :-)

January 03, 2010 08:13PM
With the price of houses these days, might just be able to get yourself one that has a two car garage of your very own.

Bob in Everett
rkj
January 03, 2010 08:33PM
Earendil
rkj

Keep trying? For a house in a country setting? I take it if you are encouraging such a move, that that is what you have?
I'm certainly looking for such a place, as they are also more open to pets, compared to nicer/newer places.

Still, I'm curious if any of us have come up with creative solutions smiling smiley

Tyler, I've had all kinds of situations, and all of them required an open mind and an eagerness to work inside, even if it meant on a dirt floor (soon a wooden one). Keep an open mind and an eager heart smiling smiley

Rick
January 03, 2010 11:46PM
rkj
Earendil
rkj

Tyler, I've had all kinds of situations, and all of them required an open mind and an eagerness to work inside, even if it meant on a dirt floor (soon a wooden one). Keep an open mind and an eager heart smiling smiley

Rick

Hey, I have no problem doing work in less than ideal circumstances. But I'd rather not get kicked out of a duplex in downtown because I cracked open the hood of my car winking smiley
Also, I live in a town of 3000 that boarders another town of 6000. It's not as if a dozen houses hit the market every day like the larger metropolitan areas. I'll have the money to move in about a month. When the time comes I'll take what I can get, and I'll make it work grinning smiley
Still, it made me wonder what everyone else does smileys with beer

January 03, 2010 11:49PM
Bob in Everett
With the price of houses these days, might just be able to get yourself one that has a two car garage of your very own.

Bob in Everett

Actually this is quite possible... at least if I can find a room mate. There are a number of 2 car garage places going for 1200-1400 a month around here. Too much to justify if it's just me, but if I could find someone to split it with, I'd jump on it in a second. I'm going to start fishing around my company tomorrow and see if there are any like minded indaviduals looking for a change of pace. We'll see if anything bites smiling smiley

January 04, 2010 10:47AM
January 04, 2010 12:23PM
Earendil

All that said, I suppose my question is, do any of you rent/have wives/have circumstances that don't allow you to work on your cars at the home? What do you do if so?
Make friends with a guy/gal who does? Get buddy-buddy with a mechanic that doesn't mind you using his shop on weekends?

What would you do if life forced you into a duplex that didn't even allow you to change your own oil in the parking lot?

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas :-)

Hi E,

I like Rick's "Get Creative" advice. I personally perform repair tasks on the street outside my apartment. My projects are less ambitious than yours. For larger projects when My Bro is visiting, we use my office parking lot. No one really cares here. If anyone gives me a hairy-eyeball look, I just greet them in a very friendly forward manner which usually dispels any complaints. We also carefully clean up any messes at day's end - preventing any complaints. Now that I have a bicycle, I will tote it for any office parking lot repair sessions with The Bro. Then I can ride to the nearby town for supplies if needed. I usually try to anticipate all needs in advance, but one never knows.

Perhaps because I'm a woman, people are generally quite supportive and friendly of my curb side repairs. More often than not, people are concerned that I have some horrible car problem which has left me stranded. More than likely, I'm just changing a burned out headlight bulb or adding some oil.

Is there a Portland E30 club? Want to start one?

Cheers, Kelly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2010 12:24PM by Kelly.
January 04, 2010 02:56PM
Kelly

Cheers, Kelly

I don't believe there is a Portland Specific one. I know there is at least two Northwest ones, centered around Spokane and Seattle.
I really didn't realize how many BENN members were within spitting distance of Portland. That makes 3, 4 if I make a little hop-skip down the Gorge. Are there any more of you?

As summer hits we should at least do a tune-up day and hang out, with options for some more instense work if people are interested.

Edit: Kelly, I thought your suggestion of starting a Portland E30 club was because you were from the Portland area. But after reviewing some posts, it looks like you are in San Fran?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2010 03:00PM by Earendil.
January 04, 2010 06:50PM
I would like to see a "forum independent" E30 contingent in Portland
What would be cooler would be if we could get the whole eurosunday thing going on in the Portland area

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
January 04, 2010 11:02PM
Earendil
Still, it made me wonder what everyone else does smileys with beer

I rent in an apartment block, so can't do anything major at home. For the bigger jobs, I go to a friend's place who has a dugout. The biggest hassle is transporting tools, you gotta bring everything you might possibly need. Try to find somewhere that you can get back home easy from, for the times when the job isn't finished so you can't drive the beemer home yet.

The holy grail would be a local mechanic who lets you use his hoist on weekends. I can't imagine them being keen though, what with insurance, OH&S, etc.

Good luck!
January 10, 2010 05:56PM
i work on my car at Mike's (ducatipaso) house. he has been a godsend. usually he just requires beer or tacos as payment. I technically have the space at my own house, but lack many tools, and also feel more comfortable working on my car with someone who has been through plenty of brake jobs, oil changes, and other random stuff.

January 10, 2010 09:03PM
January 11, 2010 07:01PM
Earendil
Kelly

Cheers, Kelly

I don't believe there is a Portland Specific one. I know there is at least two Northwest ones, centered around Spokane and Seattle.
I really didn't realize how many BENN members were within spitting distance of Portland. That makes 3, 4 if I make a little hop-skip down the Gorge. Are there any more of you?

As summer hits we should at least do a tune-up day and hang out, with options for some more instense work if people are interested.

Edit: Kelly, I thought your suggestion of starting a Portland E30 club was because you were from the Portland area. But after reviewing some posts, it looks like you are in San Fran?

Hi E,

Yes, I live in San Francisco. Sorry if I was not clear. But, I might visit Portland soon. One of my friends just enrolled in a university there. I will let you know.

:-) Kelly
January 11, 2010 07:46PM
Earendil
For those of us that prefer places other than the side of the freeway (read: preventative care), where do you work on your babies?

I ask because I am looking for suggestions as life moves me and changes my circumstances.

I still work on my fleet in the gravel driveway. There's just nothing like the thrill of hearing thunder in the distance while you're standing beside the car holding the sunroof in your hands wondering how it goes back in. I would love to have a garage, and I do have friends who will tolerate me working in theirs if the weather is bad enough, but my solution is to have so may vehicles that something is bound to be in running order. I have four vehicles that are licensed and insured for two drivers. A garage is the best solution, though, and if I can resist wasting money on 318is's that I find on Craig's list maybe I'll be able to get one soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login