Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

help fitting 15" wheels please

Posted by nomis3613 
December 30, 2009 06:20PM
Hi All,
I bought a second-hand set of 15" rims (the brand is PCW, not sure if they're popular outside Australia) and went to fit them, but came across something strange.

There is a removeable plastic spacer ring inside them that reduces the diameter of the middle hole (where the shaft in the centre of the hub goes)

1) With the plastic spacer ring fitted, the centre hole on the wheel is too small for the hub's shaft, so the wheel does not fit up to the hub mounting surface.

2) Without the plaster spacer ring, the centre hole on the wheel is too large for the hub's shaft, so the wheel does not rest on the shaft.

Obviously, the first way is NOT how it should be installed, but I'm wondering if the second way is ok? Is it normal to have the rim loose around the shaft? Or do I need the right sized spacer? Or are these the wrong wheels for an E30?

Thanks
December 30, 2009 09:25PM
You will need to get the proper size spacer for the E30. If you don't, you run the risk of the wheel being slightly off center even if the lug nuts are all in place, and the ride will be horrible. The only other thing I can think of that could be a problem for you would be the offset. Most wheels with the 4x100 lug pattern have a 35, and that will probably rub on your control arm. If they are 25 or 27 then you would be ok on a 15x7 rim.
December 30, 2009 10:59PM
Thanks, I'll go get the right spacers. It's strange that the spacers are wrong, cos the seller reckons they've been previously fitted to an E30. And I've been looking around at a heap of wheels, but never seen anything saying what size "centre shaft" (or whatever it's called) each of them is for.

Thanks for helping me avoid Out-Of-Balance-E30-Bad-Karma!!
December 31, 2009 08:05AM
After market rim manufacturers get a wider fitment of cars by making the center bore big enough to fit most makes. A hub centric spacer ring specific to your car is then purchased to ensure the fit. I believe if you go to tire rack you will be able to find the proper spacer and if you need to correct the offset too, they sell those as well.

IMO no E30 should have an out of balance ride, or whats the point of driving it!
December 31, 2009 10:31PM
Ahh "hub centric spacer ring", now I even know what to ask for! Thanks.

wodcutr
After market rim manufacturers get a wider fitment of cars by making the center bore big enough to fit most makes. A hub centric spacer ring specific to your car is then purchased to ensure the fit. I believe if you go to tire rack you will be able to find the proper spacer and if you need to correct the offset too, they sell those as well.

IMO no E30 should have an out of balance ride, or whats the point of driving it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login