Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

split rack boot :: what to do here :disappointed:

Posted by ducatipaso 
yeah baby both LCAs out, swaybar out, lollipops cleaned up
i need a buffer/wire wheel what a mess some of this stuff is so crusty with that cosmocrap blech

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
ducatipaso
I'm an animal.

2 Lemforder LCAs
2 bavauto urethane LCA bushings
2 oe swaybar links
oh, and those damn "lock plates"
and a new reservoir cap seal

now I only pay for one alignment B)

If you don't mind paying for two alignments at once you can get a "lifetime" alignment at Firestone tire stores. At least that's true here in Tennessee. I only discovered this a couple of months ago when I bought new tires. I would have done it before if I'd known about it. The lifetime is of your ownership of the car, not the tires, so you're good for as long as you own the car. I didn't buy the tires they aligned from them and it didn't matter. You can buy tires anywhere and still get your alignments done for free after you buy the lifetime deal, which costs about 2x the regular price. It's also supposed to be good at any Firestone store, so you can move and not lose your deal. Maybe other places have a deal like that too. I know Firestone is going to wish they never told me about it. I keep cars forever.

John
rkj
[/quote]

If you don't mind paying for two alignments at once you can get a "lifetime" alignment at Firestone tire stores. At least that's true here in Tennessee. I only discovered this a couple of months ago when I bought new tires. I would have done it before if I'd known about it. The lifetime is of your ownership of the car, not the tires, so you're good for as long as you own the car. I didn't buy the tires they aligned from them and it didn't matter. You can buy tires anywhere and still get your alignments done for free after you buy the lifetime deal, which costs about 2x the regular price. It's also supposed to be good at any Firestone store, so you can move and not lose your deal. Maybe other places have a deal like that too. I know Firestone is going to wish they never told me about it. I keep cars forever.

John[/quote]

John, That sounds like a great deal, they do a good job, right?, it ain't no chevy B)

Rick
I don't trust firestone, schwab, et al with my E30.

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
did a little more homework, looks like I'm not going to bother with a poly swaybar bushing [mine aren't half bad] so therefore when the box comes, I'll have it all!

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
rkj

John, That sounds like a great deal, they do a good job, right?, it ain't no chevy B)

Rick

They did a fine job on my car. They do the alignments for lots of the shops in the area. It may not be a Chevy, but it ain't rocket surgery either. smiling smiley

John
ya but that's your local place.
your mileage may vary.

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
it always makes me smile when the postman cometh

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
well, reached the end of my productivity tonight. everything's hung but not torqued [need to do under load]
cant go any further until I get a 22mm short wrench or shallow socket and the poly's not here yet anyhow

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
so, anyone reading this have poly CABs?
daniel has those badass treehouse eyeballs but they're spendy.

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
ducatipaso
so, anyone reading this have poly CABs?
daniel has those badass treehouse eyeballs but they're spendy.

Poly is no good for street use; the ride is harsh and these things fail too quickly.
Just put in the solid rubber M3 ones, your car and your kidneys will thank you winking smiley
I've had poly before on other cars, I know what I'm getting into smiling smiley
At least they're cheap so if I decide I don't like it it's an easy swap.

As far as longevity... 30k miles in 11 years of ownership; I think we'll do fine grinning smiley

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
ducatipaso
I've had poly before on other cars, I know what I'm getting into smiling smiley
At least they're cheap so if I decide I don't like it it's an easy swap.

As far as longevity... 30k miles in 11 years of ownership; I think we'll do fine grinning smiley
Ask Cab about his experiences with poly.
There have been a few other members in the past who also installed them, much to their displeasure.

You may have had them on other cars with no problems but there does seem to be issues with them being used in the E30 sad smiley
which seems odd as it's only one location, a pivot point
i rode in daniel's car with the SOLID mounts and it wasn't that bad
recall that this is on a cabrio, which is already a rattletrap smiling smiley

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
note to self: tq numbers
lb/ft

strut damper rod nut - 48
strut cartridge threaded collar - 96
strut upper mounting nuts - 16
front control arm to steering knuckle balljoint nut - 47
front control arm to subframe balljoint nut - 61
front control arm bushing bracket bolts - 30
stabilizer bar to con link bolt - 30
stabilizer bar mounting bracket to subframe - 16
connecting link to bracket - 16
connecting link bracket to control arm - 30

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
welp, everything is bolted up and mildly torqued... waiting on bushings now

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
they arrived. interesting design. harder durometer in the center, not totally solid. these should work nicely.

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
pressed in and hung up with minimal difficulty. seems to be a straightforward 2-piece design.
pics later. tonight we'll get her back on the ground and torqued up.

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
here's the bushing installed in the lollipop

installed in car

you can see the cosmofilth on my strut housing. blech. i am constantly cleaning that crap off.

drove the car around the hood a few times
it feels really nice. next up... alignment
i think i got it reallllll close as the wheel is straight and the car drives true

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
damn I'm good
zero alignment changes needed

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
And also the one with the most reponses and replies to the OP himself winking smiley

I wonder if Guinness has a category for this? smileys with beer
hehe but now we have a thread on how to do a frontend rebuild and this is a good resource
cheers!

'93 190E 2.6 » days
'92 318ic » weekends
'85 280TE » resto
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login