Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS Failing

Posted by bushhog 
November 16, 2009 11:06AM
Having ABS problems, and hope it's not the main controller. 1988 325is.

After starting up, the brakes are intermittent -- usually think I need to be ready with the hand brake. After a minute or two of driving (whether brakes have been applied or not), the system check determines that the ABS is not working properly, the ABS dash warning light comes on and braking resumes to normal (obviously in a non-ABS mode).

Would a bad connection from one of the wheel sensors cause this behavior? A failing sensor? The module? Or something else?

Thanks for any input.
rkj
November 16, 2009 08:55PM
I have the same car and the same thing happened the other day on mine. I like it better without the abs.

Rick
November 17, 2009 07:25AM
I agree that ABS is less than an essential feature -- although I like to keep everything working! The simple fix is may be to disconnect the controller and remove the bulb from the warning light (otherwise it won't pass state inspection).

Anyone else with similar experience?
rkj
November 17, 2009 11:26AM
The bulb is the one with two small wires going in to it, the bulb pulls out of the socket after the socket is pulled from the back of the cluster smiling smiley
November 17, 2009 07:28PM
Hi Bushog,
Hopefully you can get your ABS working again. I've never had problems with my ABS (touch wood), but the Bentley suggests checking the pulse wheel for
1 no missing teeth or cracks
2 it is not loose or out-of-round
3 faulty wheel bearing causing the clearance to be out (but surely you'd notice other symptoms of a shot wheel bearing too??)
4 dust, including brake dust

Hope this helps,
Simon
rkj
November 18, 2009 02:23PM
I've heard that there's a fuse/circuit box on the top (?) of the Abs control box that fails. Having no use for this system I'm not personally familiar but it could be sourced out.

Rick
November 19, 2009 05:32AM
There is a relay, with an internal fuse, as you describe, Rick. When the fuse blows, the light is never out, as there is no power to the system. My fuse blew a couple of years ago (easy to do if you mishandle the the battery circuit), and I replaced the relay/fuse combination -- so I doubt the relay is bad (although it's certainly worth checking!) Thanks for the reply.
rkj
November 19, 2009 01:54PM
bushhog
There is a relay, with an internal fuse, as you describe, Rick. When the fuse blows, the light is never out, as there is no power to the system. My fuse blew a couple of years ago (easy to do if you mishandle the the battery circuit), and I replaced the relay/fuse combination -- so I doubt the relay is bad (although it's certainly worth checking!) Thanks for the reply.

I think there was a substitute in line fuse people used instead of the relay, but here again I'm no expurt on this ....

Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login