Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading OBC backlighting...

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
December 14, 2008 06:38PM
Daniel was wondering about how easy it is to do this upgrade...
[www.iprimus.ca]

I did it in about 10 minutes...getting it into the OBC in sutu will take about 20 minutes grinning smiley
rkj
December 14, 2008 07:38PM
Archeo-peteriX
[www.iprimus.ca]

I did it in about 10 minutes...getting it into the OBC in sutu will take about 20 minutes grinning smiley

This looks like a great thing, do the led lights make it bright enough Peter?
December 14, 2008 07:45PM
Put that in the sticky section.

Put these in too:

[ee1394.com]

[www.realoem.com]

[shark.armchair.mb.ca]

[e30world.com]

[home.comcast.net]

[e30.bmwdiy.info]

alan
December 14, 2008 07:46PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
[www.iprimus.ca]

This looks like a great thing, do the led lights make it bright enough Peter?

They sure do...better than the original light bulbs smileys with beer
You can make them brighter or dimmer by changing the vale of the resistors.
sdp
January 27, 2009 11:31AM
Excellent idea!!

The OBC display has been dimmed out for a long time on our car.

I always wondered what it takes to fix it... I didn't know there were bulbs back there.

Does anyone have info on pulling the OBC out?
rkj
January 27, 2009 07:17PM
sdp
Excellent idea!!

I always wondered what it takes to fix it... I didn't know there were bulbs back there.

I think Ferdinand has a great write up for this but its basically taking the front panel off, I've done it a few ways but that is the easiest; radio etc. comes out and then there are two screws on top behind the pull out switches and two under the bottom of the panel that you access from the tray area (pointing upwards). This seems like a lot of work but it is easy once you've done it... Rick
January 27, 2009 07:48PM
rkj
sdp
Excellent idea!!

I think Ferdinand has a great write up for this but its basically taking the front panel off, I've done it a few ways but that is the easiest; radio etc. comes out and then there are two screws on top behind the pull out switches and two under the bottom of the panel that you access from the tray area (pointing upwards). This seems like a lot of work but it is easy once you've done it... Rick

This is the link to the original tech article by Gustavo Melo...
[web.archive.org]

It is very slow to load so have patience grinning smiley
January 27, 2009 08:26PM
Hey, did you guys realize the old site is back up? Slow, but it seems to work and the forum opens. I guess we could copy and paste all those tech articles to a new location? Or would Gustavo mind?
January 27, 2009 09:14PM
Andy 90 325i
Hey, did you guys realize the old site is back up? Slow, but it seems to work and the forum opens. I guess we could copy and paste all those tech articles to a new location? Or would Gustavo mind?

hmm. it still isnt working for me.

January 27, 2009 09:15PM
Andy 90 325i

That is not the old site. It's an online archive which was a mirror of the old site.
The archive has always been there.

Most of the articles that owners could be found for have been saved on a site by 'igor'...

Daniel, where did our link to igor's site go???
January 27, 2009 09:16PM
daniel
Andy 90 325i

hmm. it still isnt working for me.

No, Andy was thinking of the archivees.
January 28, 2009 12:43AM
Archeo-peteriX

i'm not sure. i took a look around and couldn't find them. we were going to make a sticky here in the tech section with several links, but one member expressed disinterest in that idea, so I hesitated to implement anything. i think there should be a separate section/subforum for FAQ DIY stuff, but then that was going to go into place on the homepage of bmwe30network.net, so we haven't made one of those.

I don't think ONE sticky with all of these useful links would hurt, though.

January 28, 2009 08:55AM
Archeo-peteriX
I'm not Daniel, bit I'll answer anyway. The link is on the "main" page: http://www.bmwe30network.net/ -- which is not reall "main" at all, but could be. I would like to have something reminiscent of the old BEN there, but sadly doing so will take more time and work than it took setting up this forum site.

I would love to copy all the old BEN tech articles to our new site, but a) I don't want to step on Igor's toes with his site; and b) the whole issue of who "owns" those articles is very fuzzy to me. Igor got permission from all the authors to republish their articles on E30world (which is why his site has only a small subset of what was on BEN). I'm not sure that's necessary, but I'm not sure it isn't, either. Either way, it's a good gesture. Having to do that again is pretty much a non-starter for me.

January 28, 2009 10:47AM
Oh, way back there winking smiley

I think most of us have bookmarked 'home' as our starting point.
The sticky works just as well.

You're right; as long as the archive is still around and igor's site, anything else is kind of redundant.
May 16, 2012 08:42PM
'm wondering how this would look with white LED's. The instructions say to use orange, but I don't see why plain white wouldn't be more like original. The original bulbs were just plain white. I replaced my bulbs once with white bulbs and they looked fine, but died already. Is a white LED too bright maybe?

BTW, that's a good one to add to the tech links collection.

led strip
Flexible LED Strip Lights
Outdoor LED Lighting
May 16, 2012 10:06PM
ChandaSk
'm wondering how this would look with white LED's. The instructions say to use orange, but I don't see why plain white wouldn't be more like original. The original bulbs were just plain white. I replaced my bulbs once with white bulbs and they looked fine, but died already. Is a white LED too bright maybe?

BTW, that's a good one to add to the tech links collection.

led strip
Flexible LED Strip Lights
Outdoor LED Lighting

White/clear LED's are fine because there is an amber filter in front of them anyway. I used clear ones and they look just like factory thumbs up:rally:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login