Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blower fan repair time...

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
November 14, 2009 04:44PM
Well, it's been squeaking off and on for the past year but now it has screaming tantrums and even blew the fuse this week.
Does anyone know if the squirrel cage runs on bearings or bushings?

Also, could this simply be motor brushes?
rkj
November 14, 2009 05:33PM
Archeo-peteriX
Well, it's been squeaking off and on for the past year but now it has screaming tantrums and even blew the fuse this week.
Does anyone know if the squirrel cage runs on bearings or bushings?

Also, could this simply be motor brushes?

I haven't taken one apart (motor itself)but I think its bushings Peter, after the blower is out you'll see right off how stiff it turns. It's usually the bushings that are tight and dry.
November 14, 2009 06:10PM
The shaft rides on bushings. I've never had any luck lubing those bushings. I've tried lightweight sewing machine oil, and I've tried normal motor oil. It seems once those bushings start squealing it's the beginning of the end.

Any oil in there just attracts dust and dirt and then the bushings seize up even faster. I eventually gave up and ordered a new blower motor from Bavauto.

It's a little awkward, but not difficult, to access the blower fan. You go in from the engine compartment, through the access panel on the firewall.
rkj
November 14, 2009 06:27PM
Ferdinand
The shaft rides on bushings. I've never had any luck lubing those bushings. I've tried lightweight sewing machine oil, and I've tried normal motor oil. It seems once those bushings start squealing it's the beginning of the end.

Any oil in there just attracts dust and dirt and then the bushings seize up even faster. I eventually gave up and ordered a new blower motor from Bavauto.

It's a little awkward, but not difficult, to access the blower fan. You go in from the engine compartment, through the access panel on the firewall.

And the blower only comes out on the passenger side (I think), its a snake out.

Those plastic fan blades are brittle too.

Ferdinand, does the motor come with new blades?
November 14, 2009 09:26PM
I've had the firewall panel off a couple of times. Once to repair the resistor block and once to fix a stuck flap.

I'll give the bushings a go and see what comes of it as I can't really afford a new blower right now. Failing that, I'll just stick a battery powered fan on the dash winking smiley

I'll be very careful of the brittle blades...if I bust them, I have an old hair drier I can duct tape in there eye popping smiley
November 15, 2009 10:28AM
rkj
does the motor come with new blades?
Yes.
November 15, 2009 10:34AM
Ok, how much...I may not want to hassle with this more than once in the inclement weather we'll be seeing over the next few months?
rkj
November 15, 2009 11:55AM
You're not going to like this uncle Pete, its 315 for the plastic heat core (top tank) and 300 for the alloy one. the parts info sez you have to check the heater core first as the blowers are different.... confused smiley that's one expensive little blower.
November 15, 2009 12:10PM
I just checked Bav auto and saw that.
The good news is I have the aluminum core so only $300 +shipping...the bad news, the iX has to go sad smiley
I'll pull it and grease it and get rid of it.

Fans seem to be the bain on these cars; blower fans, aux fans and clutched fans sad smiley

BMW = Bust My Wallet!
November 15, 2009 02:17PM
How about a used one?
rkj
November 15, 2009 02:31PM
Listen Peter, pull the thing out and work it with some squirrel piss and see what happens, I saved one of mine with "corrosion block", its a marine spray that works wonders. You can get it at napa if you can't make that fan of yours turn free with anything else. That stuff is magic, honest!

Be nice if we could take these dam things apart and really get to the heart of things-

Now, we'll hear no more of selling IX, for the time being anyhow eye rolling smiley you got that?
November 15, 2009 03:39PM
I fear that's false economy given that these things all tend to fail eventually. Finding one the same age or newer than my 89 is not a likely happening.
November 15, 2009 03:43PM
rkj
Listen Peter, pull the thing out and work it with some squirrel piss and see what happens, I saved one of mine with "corrosion block", its a marine spray that works wonders. You can get it at napa if you can't make that fan of yours turn free with anything else. That stuff is magic, honest!

Be nice if we could take these dam things apart and really get to the heart of things-

Now, we'll hear no more of selling IX, for the time being anyhow eye rolling smiley you got that?

Did you have to spray this squirrel piss in there or can it be applied with a finger? I have a tube of industrial weiner slider that is guaranteed not to dry out, wick away or otherwise not work wonders. I know it works great on motorcycle and bicycle chains which are prone to throwing lubricants off as fast as you apply them.

Life would be so much easier if I could even pull just the nose of the iX into the garage sad smiley

If I find someone who wants to do a straight swap for a 2009 Ford Ranger or Mazda B2300, it's a done deal winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2009 03:44PM by Archeo-peteriX.
rkj
November 15, 2009 05:40PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

Did you have to spray this squirrel piss in there or can it be applied with a finger? I have a tube of industrial weiner slider that is guaranteed not to dry out, wick away or otherwise not work wonders. I know it works great on motorcycle and bicycle chains which are prone to throwing lubricants off as fast as you apply them.

Life would be so much easier if I could even pull just the nose of the iX into the garage sad smiley

If I find someone who wants to do a straight swap for a 2009 Ford Ranger or Mazda B2300, it's a done deal winking smiley

Yes, its a spray/foam type stuff, it runs into where you want it and works its wonders... The CB is great for getting to first base (loosening really stuck stuff up, especially hidden areas that you can't really get to, and providing long lasting lubricating action but it does wear off so I think your wiener slider might be the right stuff for a truly long lasting fix once things are moving again.

I would say the fan assy. should come out to give you a fair shot at a good fix.

Not having a place to work under cover sucks Archie, I've been there too many times! but pick a nice day and have at it. It's nice working out in the fresh air. My place is so small (and filled with bikes) I wind up working outside too B)

Hang in there Buddy
November 15, 2009 06:55PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

Yes, its a spray/foam type stuff, it runs into where you want it and works its wonders... The CB is great for getting to first base (loosening really stuck stuff up, especially hidden areas that you can't really get to, and providing long lasting lubricating action but it does wear off so I think your wiener slider might be the right stuff for a truly long lasting fix once things are moving again.

I would say the fan assy. should come out to give you a fair shot at a good fix.

Not having a place to work under cover sucks Archie, I've been there too many times! but pick a nice day and have at it. It's nice working out in the fresh air. My place is so small (and filled with bikes) I wind up working outside too B)

Hang in there Buddy

I may have to rig a tarp to the overhang above the garage door. That would keep me and the engine bay dry but wouldn't warm things up any.

Apart from this small issue, and a couple of burned out light bulbs in various switches, the only other thing that is not working, is the A/C which I really don't care about.
So if I can get this blower quieted down, I'll be good for the winter smiling smiley
rkj
November 15, 2009 07:58PM
That sounds good, the tarp thing.
November 15, 2009 08:33PM
Archeo-peteriX
I may have to rig a tarp to the overhang above the garage door. That would keep me and the engine bay dry but wouldn't warm things up any.
These cars never seem to need repairing when it's warm and sunny out in the driveway. It either has to be pouring rain or the middle of a blizzard.

I've taken to doing my repairs in the underground parking garage of our office building. Of course I'm not supposed to be working on the car there. The security guards gave me a hard time once when they caught me with the car up on jackstands while I was fixing the brakes. Sorry. I guess I'll have to put it all back together again now before I can drive it out of here. No sense putting the old brakes back on though. Might as well put the new stuff on now that I've got it all apart. Gee what do you know. It's all fixed now....
November 15, 2009 09:25PM
Ferdinand
Archeo-peteriX
These cars never seem to need repairing when it's warm and sunny out in the driveway. It either has to be pouring rain or the middle of a blizzard.

Mostly that's true but I have just been lazy and could have done this during the 9 months I was unemployed and the weather was warm and dry eye rolling smiley
November 16, 2009 08:42AM
A Ford Ranger? OMG! Ever driven one? I have... The iX is probably even better offroad, on the road, it's not worth comparing at all.
rkj
November 16, 2009 08:53AM
Yes, well, I very thankful for my little hole in the wall, and after I build a small shed for the bikes....... smiling smiley
November 16, 2009 05:29PM
rkj
Yes, well, I very thankful for my little hole in the wall, and after I build a small shed for the bikes....... smiling smiley

Wish I had it right now...the darn thing seized and blew the fuse :X

And of course we are getting deluged with rain; so I can't get to it and the windshield fogs up really badly. My rag doesn't even help sad smiley
rkj
November 16, 2009 05:36PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

And of course we are getting deluged with rain; so I can't get to it and the windshield fogs up really badly. My rag doesn't even help sad smiley

I recognize that kind of luck :? how about some rainX no fog, probably work to some degree.
November 16, 2009 07:33PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

I recognize that kind of luck :? how about some rainX no fog, probably work to some degree.

Maybe I'll just kick the windshield out and wear goggles winking smiley
rkj
November 16, 2009 08:43PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

Now cut that out! Rochester?
November 17, 2009 07:13AM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

Now cut that out! Rochester?

I'm going to open my hood to a new mechanic today. I simply can't drive the car like this and I can't take time off work to do it.
I'll see if he is willing to take it out and try some wiener slider. If not, I'm screwed and will have to finance a new blower...there goes Xmas sad smiley
rkj
November 17, 2009 11:28AM
Good Luck Peter
November 17, 2009 07:46PM
Gave the car to my new mechanic, Bert.

He not only fixed it but knows these old BMWs as well.

So, instead of my screwing around in the cold and rain, Bert did the thing for me.

Total cost including taxes was only $84 CDN and he is guaranteeing his work for 90 days!

Best of all, Bert's shop is right next door to my shop thumbs up
November 17, 2009 08:42PM
Great, great, great!!! I became concerned when you were talking about getting rid of the IX. Glad it all worked out. Now, onward to the next failed relay!!

alan
November 18, 2009 05:20AM
Excellent. It's great to have someone like Bert nearby.

So what did he do to fix it? Lubed the bearings? What did he use?
November 18, 2009 07:08AM
Bert did a full electrical diagnostic before pulling the motor; just to make sure it wasn't something else that blew the 30 amp fuse. Then he pulled the motor out and put it on the bench for some more resistance test. When he saw there were no electrical problems; he said he pulled the squirrel cages to access the bushings. He said he uses some kind of lubricant that never dries out and won't migrate away from the bushing(I'm guessing a synthetic). As soon as he applied the stuff the shaft freed right up.

Upon reassembly, he did a final electrical test to see that the current draw in all four positions of the speed switch were within spec(don't know where he got the spec). Position 4 pulled 18amps while the other three pulled lower on the blower side of the resistor block. He also took the time to tighten up the rivets on the resistor block as one of the tangs was loose(again).

Bert spent about ten minutes taking me through what he found and what he did...and he only charged me .8 hours labour. This guy is good thumbs up

He was quite surprised that I knew so much about the car winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login