Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Leaking A/C condenser

Posted by Dave_G 
September 06, 2009 02:03PM
The A/C in my E30 hasn't worked since I got the car several years ago, and this weekend I finally got fed up and decided to troubleshoot it. After hooking up a vacuum I determined that the leak in the system, which I had hoped was caused by a bad O-ring, was in fact caused by a hole in one of the condenser coils. I can replace the condenser for about $150, but I'm wondering if there are any alternative repair options. Has anyone ever soldered a leaky condenser? Is that even worth considering? I'd rather spend the $150 on something else. :undecided:

September 06, 2009 08:49PM
Dave_G
The A/C in my E30 hasn't worked since I got the car several years ago, and this weekend I finally got fed up and decided to troubleshoot it. After hooking up a vacuum I determined that the leak in the system, which I had hoped was caused by a bad O-ring, was in fact caused by a hole in one of the condenser coils. I can replace the condenser for about $150, but I'm wondering if there are any alternative repair options. Has anyone ever soldered a leaky condenser? Is that even worth considering? I'd rather spend the $150 on something else. :undecided:

I've never heard of anybody doing a repair on a condenser Dave, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Do you have a good radiator man near you? and are you going to change over to the new style fluid? Having the system empty for that long could present problems in putting it back in to service.

Rick
September 13, 2009 08:29PM
The condensor is usually made of aluminum. It can be welded to repair. If it is brass, it can be soldered.

Bob in Everett
September 14, 2009 04:44AM
I've asked around and nobody knows of anyone around here who repairs these. I'll probably just replace it. Now the question is, when? Since we're pretty much out of A/C season now, I'm thinking of waiting until spring. Bit if I do that will I destroy the new drier that I just put in since the system is open to the air?

September 14, 2009 10:22AM
Dave_G
I've asked around and nobody knows of anyone around here who repairs these. I'll probably just replace it. Now the question is, when? Since we're pretty much out of A/C season now, I'm thinking of waiting until spring. Bit if I do that will I destroy the new drier that I just put in since the system is open to the air?

Hey Dave

If you've started already you're kinda committed at this point, it would seem. Being the system has been dry for all this time you'll probably have an all night pump down ahead of you.

Also, if you wait who knows what will be available and for how much confused smiley

You might find you'll need more than you thought as far as part replacement for the new gas changeover too; hoses, orings etc.

Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login