July 21, 2009 09:17AM
Hi BENN Network!
I recently bought a BMW 3.20i from 1986. It is the car of a grand-father of a friend of mine. It has been standing for two years in a garage and needed some care.
Now I am still trying to get to grips with two problems.
1) I need starting spray to get the engine going.
If I try to start the car it does not ignite. But if i add some starting gas it will start and after it will run smoothly until i switch of the ignition. Next time new procedure. I have added different injector oils etc. to the gas, to get away water, and just grease up the injector system, but no difference.
2) The car stereo will only play for two mins. after which a sound will start, quite loud. It will not go away until I shut the stereo off, once i start it the sound returns.
Alpine stereo...

Now i am suspecting these two may be linked. Is it possible that the car has an "anti-theft" system going that makes the engine not want to give the starting injection, as well as stopping the car stereo to play?

Or are these two separate problems? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do to 1) get the car started without start gas and 2) get the stereo to not make that noise?

Best
Jacob von Heland
July 21, 2009 10:48AM
Jake
Hi BENN Network!
I recently bought a BMW 3.20i from 1986. It is the car of a grand-father of a friend of mine. It has been standing for two years in a garage and needed some care.
Now I am still trying to get to grips with two problems.
1) I need starting spray to get the engine going.
If I try to start the car it does not ignite. But if i add some starting gas it will start and after it will run smoothly until i switch of the ignition. Next time new procedure. I have added different injector oils etc. to the gas, to get away water, and just grease up the injector system, but no difference.
2) The car stereo will only play for two mins. after which a sound will start, quite loud. It will not go away until I shut the stereo off, once i start it the sound returns.
Alpine stereo...

Now i am suspecting these two may be linked. Is it possible that the car has an "anti-theft" system going that makes the engine not want to give the starting injection, as well as stopping the car stereo to play?

Or are these two separate problems? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do to 1) get the car started without start gas and 2) get the stereo to not make that noise?

Best
Jacob von Heland

Has the battery been fully charged up? Does it hold a charge?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 01:46PM by daniel.
July 21, 2009 01:47PM
i fixed the quoting by peter, and moved this to the technical section.

July 22, 2009 07:44AM
Or possibly, the starting injector is bad? The gas could be bad too if the car has been sitting for 2 years. Not sure of an anti-theft system that works by making the radio loud. Usually, they just shut down the ignition system. Pull the fuse on the radio for now, let's just get her running.

By any chance is the gentleman who owned the car available for help on what the car did when he owned it?

alan
July 24, 2009 08:33AM
Hi again,
Thanks for responding to my inquiry Daniel and Alan. I have been out on a canoeing trip and not had the time to reply until now. Weather a bit unstable but still fantastic three days! Well, back to the car.
The owner is very old. His daughter signed the car over to me...But according to them the car was running when it was put in a garage. However, a mechanic looked at it, as it refused to start and noticed that the fuel pump was dead. He traced the electrical circuits and found they have been cut and neatly placed behind the back seat. When we rewired the electrics to the fuel pump the car starts just fine, IF starting gas is applied during the ignition. After this procedure the car runs just fine. So it is something with injection at the very starting moment...

The battery is new. It holds charge well.

I have used up all the old gas in the tank and still no difference
Have added kinds of injector liquids to clean the fuel system.

As I have said before, the car runs very smoothly once started. It is only the starting up that is the problem...

Looking forward to your input!

Jacob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 06:48AM by Jake.
July 25, 2009 08:47PM
In that era was there a start injector to prime the fuel into the air intake? The thermo time switch to control this injector might not be working. It should spray fuel into the intake manifold to make a rich mixture for starting. Then after a few seconds it should turn off.

Bob in Everett
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login