Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

will an E36 steering wheel fit?

Posted by nomis3613 
July 03, 2009 11:56PM
Hi,

Will a non-airbag E36 M-tech 2 wheel fit an E30?

It looks the same as an E30 M-tech 2, just wondering if they're on different splines though. Hope it is the same, I've found one for much cheaper than the E30 ones usually cost, and I'm keen to get rid of the old "bus wheel"!

Thanks,
Simon
July 04, 2009 08:05AM
I thought all E36s had airbags so that wheel may very well fit the E30 or have been modified to fit the 36.
July 31, 2009 09:04PM
wodcutr
I thought all E36s had airbags so that wheel may very well fit the E30 or have been modified to fit the 36.

Thanks wodcutr.

Does anyone know if BMW changed splines for wheels with an airbag? Or was it just a change to the E36 model, regardless of airbag or not?

Basically this will tell me if I can buy an E36 non-airbag wheel for my E30.

(what I've discovered so far on the history of BMW steering wheels... E30s in general have a coarse spline and E36s in general have the fine spline. Just to confuse things, some of the last E30s came with an airbag, while some early E36s didn't!)

Cheers,
Simon
August 02, 2009 07:45PM
I once tried to put an airbag wheel (from a 91) in a non airbag car (an 89) and the splines were the same and would have worked except the steering column was too short in the 89 so the wheel would not have been able to have the nut all the way in place. I suppose you could put a non airbag wheel on too and it would work, you would just need a spacer to take up the slack!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login