Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Valence Hanging Low

Posted by Kelly 
June 08, 2009 05:50PM
Hi All,

I guess I've been out of touch recently. Rick - my gosh. I hope you are feeling better. Archie - I hope that you've had some good news recenlty.

Beemie and I are rolling along same as ever except the valence under my front bumper is haning low in the center. I looked around but did not see any missing screws, but I can look again if you like. Now I must say that the old mechs removed the splash guard (behind valence and under engine's front end) becuase it was breaking apart apparenlty.

What should I do about the low hanging valence? If you need pics, I can post.

Do I need a new splash gaurd?

Thanks, Kelly
rkj
June 08, 2009 07:23PM
Thanks Kelly, healing takes forever; I'm going nuts!

Pictures would help, but the lower spoiler screws into the grill apron sheet metal. Dial it up on real.com and you'll see.

If you're talking about the rubber lower lip thingy that hangs down an inch or two that gets a different mounting.

Rick
June 08, 2009 11:21PM
yes, please post a photo so we know exactly what you are talking about winking smiley

June 09, 2009 12:35PM
daniel
yes, please post a photo so we know exactly what you are talking about winking smiley

Hi, I placed a tin can under the lowest center point of the valence which does not seem to have an attachement method at the rear end hence the sag. There is about 1/4" between the can top and the valence.

Valence sagging same as below.

Thoughts?

Glad your feeling a tad better Rick.

Kelly spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 09, 2009 03:27PM
Hi Kelly,

Can't help you on the valence, sorry sad smiley

Thanks for thinking of Rick and myself. I haven't had any luck in the job marked but at least I'm not in pain like Rick thumbs down
June 09, 2009 04:59PM
Archeo-peteriX
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for thinking of Rick and myself. I haven't had any luck in the job marked but at least I'm not in pain like Rick thumbs down

Hi Archie, Let's hope you hear something soon. Not that the construction industry is flush with jobs at this time, but have you ever consideted taking an AutoCAD class? You might really like its technical nature. But do check the local library for CAD books first as an overveiw. Our CAD Manager uses the "Ascent - Center for Technical Knowledge" CAD Manuals alot.

Well, it the valence hangs lower, then I can deploy the baling wire.

K
June 09, 2009 06:11PM
Kelly
Archeo-peteriX
Hi Kelly,

Hi Archie, Let's hope you hear something soon. Not that the construction industry is flush with jobs at this time, but have you ever consideted taking an AutoCAD class? You might really like its technical nature. But do check the local library for CAD books first as an overveiw. Our CAD Manager uses the "Ascent - Center for Technical Knowledge" CAD Manuals alot.

Well, it the valence hangs lower, then I can deploy the baling wire.

K

Hi Kelly,

Up here, even the cheap companies aren't hiring. I can use AutoCAD but don't particularly like it. Solid Works is far superior and Pro Engineer is even above that. I have so many mechanical engineer friends that know all these programs inside and out, that are unemployed that I wouldn't have a chance with my mediocre skills.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that a lot of fat cat CEOs and accountants sold off our jobs and they aren't coming back. My problem is the the three to 6 daily resumes and responses to ads on half a dozen job search sites don't produce even a single response...my age and my resume are anchors around my neck sad smiley

Even when I have all the requirements for a given position; I still don't get any responses.

Hey, bailing wire has been the mainstay of holding things together for decades...and it is dirt cheap smiling smiley
June 09, 2009 07:55PM
looks like you can either tie it up, or buy a new one. the new one is probably around $100 or less.

June 10, 2009 08:24AM
I suppose you could fashion some kind of a stiffener like a piece of flat metal that is then screwed to the plastic. A lot cheaper than a new one!
June 10, 2009 11:14AM
Archeo-peteriX

Hi Kelly,

Up here, even the cheap companies aren't hiring. I can use AutoCAD but don't particularly like it. Solid Works is far superior and Pro Engineer is even above that. I have so many mechanical engineer friends that know all these programs inside and out, that are unemployed that I wouldn't have a chance with my mediocre skills.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that a lot of fat cat CEOs and accountants sold off our jobs and they aren't coming back. My problem is the the three to 6 daily resumes and responses to ads on half a dozen job search sites don't produce even a single response...my age and my resume are anchors around my neck sad smiley

Even when I have all the requirements for a given position; I still don't get any responses.

Hey, bailing wire has been the mainstay of holding things together for decades...and it is dirt cheap smiling smiley

Hi Archie,

Sorry, I did not realize that you had experience with drawing and engineering programs.Yeah, AutoCAD can be a world of trouble sometimes. At least it works most of the time.

Everyone - Egad! I looked on realoem, and a lower spoiler will cost $255 for a giant piece of plastic. Think I'll break out the wire given that the part is not integral to the vehicle's operation. Is it unwise to be driving around without a splash gaurd that is located under the engine?

Thanks, Kelly
June 10, 2009 06:15PM
Kelly - I have two cars that the splash guard is missing on. I notice that the engine bay gets a little more debris on the top of the motor ie dust and such, but I would think that you would be ok if you wanted to eliminate it as you have some pretty mild weather where you live. About the only real downside is that there is an inner fender cover that attaches to this too and without the splash guard it could have a tendency to contact your tires at certain times and then those would become compromised too. You're better off leaving it as is or rigging the sag out in some fashion if you can. You could also have the bro go to the junk palace again and retrieve another for a lot less than a new one too. That would be the first place I would go.
June 10, 2009 07:00PM
wodcutr
You could also have the bro go to the junk palace again and retrieve another for a lot less than a new one too. That would be the first place I would go.
Yup. Used, used, used! It's just a big hunk of plastic. No need to pay $255 when there are probably hundreds of them hanging off of dead cars in junkyards.

If you can't find one locally, here are a few online places where I've found used parts:
http://www.e30parts.com/E30PartsForSale.htm
http://e30bmwparts.com/
http://bmwwholesale.net/index/new_used_bmw_parts
http://www.theeurodepot.com/

June 10, 2009 08:39PM
Kelly, Like the guys say, try used. I've seen them on ebay too. Yours looks like its out of shape, not a fastening thing, and where its bent down in the middle there really isn't anything to tie it up to I don't think.

Check though, maybe a few long tiewraps could get it back up.

Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login