Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windshield Replacement

Posted by alanrw 
May 13, 2009 08:16AM
HI Guys,

had an "interface" with some unexpected road debris which spidered my windshield. I went to Pick-A-Part and grabbed a new windshield for $30. I removed the lockstrip, popped out the old windshied, soaped up the gasket, slid the new windshield in, got the gasket worked around when I was at the last 4 inches and the windshield cracked!! Oh well, it was only $30.

Any tips on replacing the windshield?

alan
rkj
May 13, 2009 11:25AM
alanrw
HI Guys,

had an "interface" with some unexpected road debris which spidered my windshield. I went to Pick-A-Part and grabbed a new windshield for $30. I removed the lockstrip, popped out the old windshied, soaped up the gasket, slid the new windshield in, got the gasket worked around when I was at the last 4 inches and the windshield cracked!! Oh well, it was only $30.

alan

This is why I use Penn glass, its expensive though, these days a new windshield is 200 bucks, and its nothing like the original hardness wise.

Rick
May 13, 2009 06:17PM
alanrw
HI Guys,

alan

maybe have a helper so it can be put in all at the same time?

May 13, 2009 07:23PM
Well, the deal seems to be that the gasket folds back pretty easy as you work your way around. But as you get to the top and the windshield is seated, the gasket seems to get tighter the closer you get. I might try the old cord trick in the groove and see if that does it.

alan
rkj
May 13, 2009 07:31PM
I've seen it done many times and have done it once. These are the easiest windshields to install and remove, when the pros do it. smiling smiley all you need is the triangle wire tool to spread the channel so the expander strip can fit in. Mine has the opening so the strip fits in through the tool itself so while the channel is being spread open the strip is right there and lays in. Soap/water mix helps. You have to make sure the shield is centered in the opening too, to start with.
May 13, 2009 07:56PM
alanrw

I removed the lockstrip, popped out the old windshied, soaped up the gasket, slid the new windshield in, got the gasket worked around when I was at the last 4 inches and the windshield cracked!! Oh well, it was only $30.

alan

Maybe the soap made it too slippery. That might have stressed the windshield to have some of it not in the gasket and the rest just trying to slide in real easy. I did mine just a couple of weeks ago without any soap and it went in just fine.

Good luck on the next one.

John
May 14, 2009 07:32AM
Well, I think that is my question, I found that the windshield doesn't go into the groove all at once. You can pretty much get it into the groove on the cowl side of the gasket and then you have to work around the pillars and roof side of the gasket (Unless you are an octopus and have a twin brother). So I guess what I am looking for is a tip?

alan
rkj
May 14, 2009 06:10PM
All the times I've seen the guys doing the install they had the suction cup on the glass so they could help position the glass. The glass has a tendency to drop down on the cowl side.
May 14, 2009 07:15PM
alanrw
Well, I think that is my question, I found that the windshield doesn't go into the groove all at once. You can pretty much get it into the groove on the cowl side of the gasket and then you have to work around the pillars and roof side of the gasket (Unless you are an octopus and have a twin brother). So I guess what I am looking for is a tip?

alan

What I did was start at the bottom (cowl side) and work my way up each pillar going from side to side to keep it nice and even. I was mostly able to push the lip around the glass from the inside of the car. When I got to the top corners I really took it slow, going from side to side after just easing one little bit of gasket over the glass. I had a small plastic squeegee that I used in this area. Sometimes from the outside, sometimes from the inside, just depending on how I could get at the rubber lip the easiest. Once I was around the top corners doing the top edge, the gasket started getting a little harder to push around the edge of the glass, but I think there was less risk of breaking the glass. I think the really critical areas are the corners, especially the top corners. You have to keep both sides real even as you work the corners in. If one gets ahead of the other it will crack. BTW, I have done a bunch of VW bus windows (and broken more than a few). That's always been the pattern I've observed. If you can just get all four corners in you've got it made. The last edge gets tight, but if you get those last corners in at the same time you'll probably be OK.

That's all the tips I have on windows. That and have an extra on hand when you try it, but you already know that one. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login