Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I just broke my Rotor Adapter ::o

Posted by Earendil 
April 03, 2009 01:45PM
Or more correctly put, it FELL APART. I'm threading a new rotor on by hand, and the adapter, where the middle screw goes in, splits in half and a chunk falls to the ground. I didn't know what it was at first until I took the rotor back off and looked at the adapter in horror.
Here is what I'm talking about, # 7

I hadn't even tightened anything. I must have been old and I damaged it just enough when taking out the old rotor? Or maybe it was hanging by a thread and the rotor was keeping it together? I can't imagine would would have happened if it had come apart while driving eye popping smiley

So, anyone had this happen before? Is it a simple enough replacement? I'm hoping I can just remove the #8 bolt, replace the adapter, and thread the bolt back in. Anything else I should replace while I have this bolt out? :-)

~Tyler (Who is realizing he now needs to physically run to class to not be late. @#$%)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2009 06:09PM by Earendil.
rkj
April 03, 2009 04:46PM
Earendil
Or more correctly put, it FELL APART. I'm threading a new rotor on by hand, and the adapter, where the middle screw goes in, splits in half and a chunk falls to the ground. I didn't know what it was at first until I root the rotor back off and looked at the adapter in horror.
Here is what I'm talking about, # 7

I hadn't even tightened anything. I must have been old and I damaged it just enough when taking out the old rotor? Or maybe it was hanging by a thread and the rotor was keeping it together? I can't imagine would would have happened if it had come apart while driving eye popping smiley

So, anyone had this happen before? Is it a simple enough replacement? I'm hoping I can just remove the #8 bolt, replace the adapter, and thread the bolt back in. Anything else I should replace while I have this bolt out? :-)

~Tyler (Who is realizing he now needs to physically run to class to not be late. @#$%)

Yes. Tyler. Should be that easy spinning smiley sticking its tongue out often its not though; give it a shot and report back.

You don't think two out of three are enough I'm thinking...
April 03, 2009 06:07PM
rkj

I'm thinking if one of 3 can fall apart like that, the other two might not be far off,
OR
If even another tiny unimportant chunk of metal comes off, I don't want to know what that will do to the proper functioning of the cap and rotor combo.

I feel as if it wasn't designed to operate with chunks of metal bouncing around inside eye rolling smiley

Well I managed to find a place that had the part. My regular dealer didn't have it, and BavAuto had it listed as a specialty item that they could order for me, but it would be 1-2 weeks before THEY got it, and then turned around and shipped it to me. So I found a brand new online US based location for the part. Here's hoping they are reputable and can get the item out the door fast. It'll still probably be Monday before I see the part...

When it first broke I thought maybe it was one part with the rod that extends into the case. I was about ready to shiet myself. After really studying the realOEM diagrams, it looks like a simple bolt in part.

God help me if I remove that bolt and a bunch of other metal pieces come falling out of the front...
rkj
April 03, 2009 08:08PM
Earendil
rkj

I'm thinking if one of 3 can fall apart like that, the other two might not be far off,
OR
If even another tiny unimportant chunk of metal comes off, I don't want to know what that will do to the proper functioning of the cap and rotor combo.

I feel as if it wasn't designed to operate with chunks of metal bouncing around inside eye rolling smiley

Well I managed to find a place that had the part. My regular dealer didn't have it, and BavAuto had it listed as a specialty item that they could order for me, but it would be 1-2 weeks before THEY got it, and then turned around and shipped it to me. So I found a brand new online US based location for the part. Here's hoping they are reputable and can get the item out the door fast. It'll still probably be Monday before I see the part...

When it first broke I thought maybe it was one part with the rod that extends into the case. I was about ready to shiet myself. After really studying the realOEM diagrams, it looks like a simple bolt in part.

God help me if I remove that bolt and a bunch of other metal pieces come falling out of the front...

I don't think thats going to happen but that bolt can be a mother to get off and then theres the shaft thingy... Rick
April 04, 2009 07:25AM
daaaaang. sounds like you dodged a bullet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login