Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ignition key cylinder removal

Posted by wodcutr 
April 01, 2009 05:55PM
Hey can anybody here tell me how to get the ignition key cylinder out of its housing. I have stripped this car down and removed all the lock cylinders and wanted the ignition one as well. I have the thing completely down to the metal housing that is attached to the column, but cannot figure out how to remove that with the cylinder still inside or just remove the darn thing from the housing. I would rather not break it as that defeats the purpose of having all the locks the same for one key! Thanks.
April 01, 2009 07:45PM
Typically, for most cars, you insert the key, turn it to on, push the release button and the cylinder slides out. Question is where is the release button?

alan
April 02, 2009 06:36AM
I tried to get the ignition key cylinder out once, when I was trying to remove the upper cover to the steering column. I never could figure it out, and I eventually just gave up. If someone here knows, I would love to know too!

April 02, 2009 08:31AM
Ignition lock removal

There you go, looks fairly easy.
April 02, 2009 11:30AM
Nice, doesn't get much easier than that.

smileys with beer

alan
April 02, 2009 08:36PM
Thanks Michiel that is definitely simple enough. I did try to insert a tiny screwdriver in that hole at all of the positions and nothing so this is great to know. I ended up figuring out how to get the ignition encasement off of the column too. If any one wants to know you have to slice a slot into the shear bolt underneath the column and then take a screwdriver and back the bolt out. It comes off quite easy then!
April 03, 2009 03:23AM
And all it took was a bit of Googling.

Which shear bolt are you talking about? I once tried it on the ones holding the steering column, without success. Couldn't move them one bit with the screwdriver. Then drilled a hole in them, hammered in a torx bit, but the ratchet on it but the bit snapped. Then I grinded the entire head of the bolt down to get them out.
April 03, 2009 08:04AM
The shear bolt that holds the ignition housing to the steering column. If you look at the diagrams on oemparts.com you can see the bolt that screws in from the bottom of the housing. I would think that the actual steering column itself would be very difficult to get out, but once the ignition housing is off of the splined steering shaft all you need to do to get that out would be to unbolt the knuckle that ties it to the shaft that goes through the firewall and slide it out!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login