Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tie Rod Puller / Ball Join Seperator Q's

Posted by Earendil 
I figured I'd post this in it's own thread since I wouldn't want someone searching for the same information, to come up with the giant thread I have amassed on front end work ;-)

It looks as if Ball join separators and tie rod pullers have a different form, but essentially do the same thing. Brace the tool against something and turn a "screw" to slowing put pressure on something.

My question is, what "size" tool is best for the E30, and can the tools be interchangeable? I ask because BavAuto sells a tie rod puller for $40, but similar tools can be found on places like ebay for $8-$20.
Now, I'm a man that believes on paying a few extra dollars for quality*, however this tool will be used a handful of times, not a couple thousand times in a mechanic shop. I need it to do it's job a few times, and that's it. Also, as far as tools to screw up, a solid piece of metal and a screw is something you'd think they could get right (yeah yeah, I know...).

The trouble is that I can find no dimensions for the tie-rod puller on BavAuto, so I'm at a loss for how to do smart comparative shopping.

Thoughts?

~Tyler

*The exception to this quality statement, is if the issue of quality revolves around my own handy work vs a "professional", and in that case @#$% you, I produce fine quality work, even if I break a few things and it takes me 5x as long winking smiley
how about this. i will send you the tie-rod puller for the cost of shipping ($5?), and you can keep it as long as you need it, or until i need it. no need to buy anything. fyi i bought mine from bavauto for $40.

Look, that is a community!
daniel
how about this. i will send you the tie-rod puller for the cost of shipping ($5?), and you can keep it as long as you need it, or until i need it. no need to buy anything. fyi i bought mine from bavauto for $40.

If you think you could get that in the mail this week, that would be great. I have a 3 day weekend over Easter weekend, so starting Thursday evening I'm going to start ripping things apart. I just picked up two jack stands for $20, so once the parts get in I'm good to go. I know you are in school as well, so if it is too much trouble at all to get it in the mail in the next 2 or 3 days, I really won't think less of you, I promise :-)
Earendil
daniel

If you think you could get that in the mail this week, that would be great. I have a 3 day weekend over Easter weekend, so starting Thursday evening I'm going to start ripping things apart. I just picked up two jack stands for $20, so once the parts get in I'm good to go. I know you are in school as well, so if it is too much trouble at all to get it in the mail in the next 2 or 3 days, I really won't think less of you, I promise :-)

email, PM, IM, facebook, call, or text me your address, and ill send it to you. it should only take a couple days i would imagine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login