Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

seatbelts slow to retract

Posted by nomis3613 
February 28, 2009 11:35PM
Hi Folks,

My rear seatbelts are not retracting fully, so they are living perilously close to being slammed in the door. Can they be cleaned or maintained somehow to give them their pull back?

I've seen a few sites like this talking about cleaning the belts. I gave it a go using woolwash, but it didn't help. Is there any way to lubricate the mechanism etc, or is it just that I need new belts end of story?

I realise seatbelts are something you want to be working properly, but I'm confident that these ones will still do the job- there's no tears, scratches etc and the rear belts aren't used much so they can't be worn out. Of course, though, if what I'm asking is stupid/unsafe, please don't be afraid to tell me!
March 01, 2009 01:14AM
wd-40.

actually, i don't know. sorry.

March 01, 2009 07:12AM
And if that doesn't help, replace them. You wouldn't want anyone of your loved ones to be injured in a crash (even a mild one), due to not having properly working seatbelts.
March 16, 2009 09:54PM
I agree with the WD-40 idea. There is likely some lube in there that has oxidized and become too viscous. Some kind of solvent based lube would be good. A silicon spray into the workings where it does not get onto the belt should be helpful.

Bob in Everett
March 17, 2009 12:27AM
Bob in Everett
I agree with the WD-40 idea. There is likely some lube in there that has oxidized and become too viscous. Some kind of solvent based lube would be good. A silicon spray into the workings where it does not get onto the belt should be helpful.

Bob in Everett

So I gave it a good dousing with WD-40 the other day. Got the belt retracter spinning freer, but not enough to keep the belts out of harms way when people carelessly shut the doors, so I've ordered a new set.

Thanks for the tips,

Simon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login